Shoe/sole trackers

Minky4

Mar 27, 2018
Has anyone tried a shoe/sole tracker for their loved ones?
My partner can forget his tracker, so these seem ideal. However, they are quite expensive and I wondered how hardwearing they are.
He has PPA and walks a lot, and by a lot I mean it can be between 5 and 10 miles a day...so they would need to be sturdy.
Thanks

ally66

Oct 4, 2017
Has anyone tried a shoe/sole tracker for their loved ones?
My partner can forget his tracker, so these seem ideal. However, they are quite expensive and I wondered how hardwearing they are.
He has PPA and walks a lot, and by a lot I mean it can be between 5 and 10 miles a day...so they would need to be sturdy.
Thanks
We had smartsoles for my father unfortunately he went out at 3am and the insoles had gone to sleep they are supposed to wake up with movement but didn't. The police found my father 3 hours later as we were collecting him from his early morning walk the insoles eventually decided to wake up. They also regularly woke us in the early hours informing us he was in the next street when he was in bed at home. I found them not fit for purpose.

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
Hi @Minky4 does your partner have to physically pick up his tracker. My MIL has one attached to her door keys - amazingly she always locks her door and takes her keys when she goes out. She has a pebble supplied with the local authority care phone (on request for a couple of pounds extra weekly). We could have also had a watch with a tracker on it but it is not waterproof ( she was still taking baths unprompted when we got it) and the watch looked too much like a gents watch so she did not like it. It might be worth checking your local authorities website and what technology is available with the care phone system.
The pebble is amazing - I have set up geofencing so it sends a text if she goes out of the local area, speed can be monitored also so if her anaemia is deteriorating I can see her slowing and know to get her to her GP for review. The pebble sends an alarm if the person has fallen ( not good if she has keys in handbag and throws it on the ground ) and if your partner still has insight there is a big button to press if help is needed.

Brown Bear

Feb 23, 2020
Hi, We used a number of different devices for my mum over time. First we just used a mobile phone and made sure that her carer charged it in the morning and put it in her handbag. Then we found that wasn't totally reliable so we also bought a pebble-sized tracker (about £80?) and put that in her handbag. This worked well for a while - until the day she left the house without her handbag! The police found her several hours later, and it was all pretty scary and we realised that we needed another solution. I bought a SmartSole (from TechSilver) it was pretty expensive - £250 for the soles themselves plus £29.95/month for the service. They were pretty good and in fact she didn't go off again after that. You can get them to set the refresh time - more frequent means more charging, less frequent means less charging. We had it set to refresh every 5 minutes and were on pretty much daily charging.

Last edited by a moderator: