Shocking statistics

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-33154093

From Age UK:

'The charity's analysis of NHS England data for the last financial year showed the days spent stuck in hospital included:

174,000 waiting for a residential home place

216,000 waiting for a nursing home place

206,000 waiting for help from social care workers or district nurses to get people back into their own home

41,400 waiting for ramps or stairlifts to be installed into patients' homes.'

and:

'Age UK said it was bad for patients' health, a waste of NHS resources and a huge cost to taxpayers.'

Too true!! grrr.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
My group piano lesson and a stack of other adult ed courses were moved last year - from a building that was once a secondary school and is now going to be one again, to a purpose-built, bright and sunny care home which the council had seen fit to close. While we were all grateful to have a new home for our classes, I found it astonishing that any council would close such a care home when there is growing and urgent need, not to mention people languishing in hospital because they can't be sent home.

I have recently heard that the care home is to be re-opened, as a halfway house for people who no longer need hospital beds but can't yet be sent home. However this is just a rumour and since it is such a sensible and obvious idea the cynic in me can't help thinking that it isn't going to happen.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My group piano lesson and a stack of other adult ed courses were moved last year - from a building that was once a secondary school and is now going to be one again, to a purpose-built, bright and sunny care home which the council had seen fit to close. While we were all grateful to have a new home for our classes, I found it astonishing that any council would close such a care home when there is growing and urgent need, not to mention people languishing in hospital because they can't be sent home.

I have recently heard that the care home is to be re-opened, as a halfway house for people who no longer need hospital beds but can't yet be sent home. However this is just a rumour and since it is such a sensible and obvious idea the cynic in me can't help thinking that it isn't going to happen.

I suspect that the council is so strapped for cash that they closed it as a money saving exercise and assumed that the private sector would fill the gap. Unfortunately everyone - NHS, SS, LA - are all protecting their own pot of cash and the private sector is just not responding fast enough. I guess its not an easy thing for the private sector to get into. Its all a mess.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
What's so sad, in my opinion, is that these "bed blockers" or their families, are made to feel it's their fault for blocking the bed.. Mainly by the media I know, but the implication is still there...

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Liz57

Dec 22, 2013
It never ceases to amaze and sadden me that the "powers that be" consistently fail to recognise the effect their actions or inactions have. Cut funding for care and the knock on effect ranges from increased waiting times at A&E departments to queues at the local crematorium not to mention over stressed carers clogging GP waiting rooms and the sheer inhumanity of scared vulnerable older people being left to fend for themselves in a complex and complicated world. This is not rocket science. Cut corners in one area and you increase costs in another. Simples!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
It never ceases to amaze and sadden me that the "powers that be" consistently fail to recognise the effect their actions or inactions have. Cut funding for care and the knock on effect ranges from increased waiting times at A&E departments to queues at the local crematorium not to mention over stressed carers clogging GP waiting rooms and the sheer inhumanity of scared vulnerable older people being left to fend for themselves in a complex and complicated world. This is not rocket science. Cut corners in one area and you increase costs in another. Simples!

Indeed Liz - but its someone elses costs - not theirs :mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
debbie1968