Shocking developments.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Garnuft where do you find the energy!You make me feel ashamed x

My thoughts exactly!

I'm glad that you have time-scales and that hubby is no longer frightened to breathe. What a shame that your son has become so familiar with hospitals but glad that he will not be frightened. Thank goodness for Amazon :)

I do know what you mean about working to schedules. My surgeon recently went off sick which has thrown everything haywire for me!

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Garnuft where do you find the energy!You make me feel ashamed x

It's how I cope, physical exhaustion is the only way to shut my inner voice up.

Can't go out and walk for miles, son can't walk far and at 20 stone and 6ft 5/6/7 (depends on the day and the measure) he's too big to push far in the wheelchair.

After Mam died I took up cross stitch but I'm such an impatient person I just took it as a challenge to see how fast I could do it, not a relaxing hobby for me.

I can only read when I'm in bed and that's only for a few minutes before I fall asleep, takes me ages to read a book.

So getting my scruffs on and hard physical graft is therapy for me. :)

Thanks all for your best wishes. x

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Dear Gwen, have not managed on TP often and then just a quick read of threads, have only just read yours. So sorry I have not been here....

What a very difficult time you are having - Pete, Daniel, your father and mother-in-law. You are amazing the way you keep going and get stuck into physical things. Yet I do understand how it can help as in my younger days, and not so young, I was like that - could decorate for Scotland, do heavy gardening hours at a time, lug furniture up/downstairs etc. It does help the mind going into overdrive, I need to be doing.

I just wanted to say I hope Pete's surgery date works out as you would wish; sooner or after New Year. Also of course that everything goes well. Words can be so b****y inadequate....

Some years ago a friend's husband had a multi-bypass surgery, I think supposed to be a triple but ended up four or five. He was early-sixties. He did remarkably well and now at 78 is as strong as an ox, a real workaholic forever doing heavy work.

I shall pop in more to keep up with your news, and wishing all of you the very best. Why does everything I'm writing sound so lame.... Truly feel for you all.

Hope things are going as alright as possible concerning your parents-in-law.

My thoughts and love - wonder woman!

Oh by the way I love your Camden man, he is indeed beautiful. My sort of thing. Glad you managed to London, a well deserved break, although maybe feel ages ago now. But it did sound lovely- and you have that Camden man as a result. :)

Loo xxx

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to post, Loo, it means a lot. x

That's heartening to hear about your friend, trying to encourage Peter to feel positive about it, he's (we're) still smoking though :eek: so this weekend is going to be the final swansong, we'll use e cigs to ease the pain.

I try to sit quiet, watch telly, read a book... but it feels as though I've been told to sit down and be quiet, it's always forced.
Only when I'm exhausted does it feel natural.

I'm glad you like Camden Man too, he is even more beautiful in real life, so tactile and such a glowing patina, he draws my eyes and hands to him.

I hope you are as well as you can be, Loo and Henry too.

Thanks again for spending some of your precious time responding to me, it means a LOT.

Much Love,

Gwen XXX

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
Thanks for taking the time to post, Loo, it means a lot. x

That's heartening to hear about your friend, trying to encourage Peter to feel positive about it, he's (we're) still smoking though :eek: so this weekend is going to be the final swansong, we'll use e cigs to ease the pain.

I try to sit quiet, watch telly, read a book... but it feels as though I've been told to sit down and be quiet, it's always forced.
Only when I'm exhausted does it feel natural.

I'm glad you like Camden Man too, he is even more beautiful in real life, so tactile and such a glowing patina, he draws my eyes and hands to him.

I hope you are as well as you can be, Loo and Henry too.

Thanks again for spending some of your precious time responding to me, it means a LOT.

Much Love,

Gwen XXX[/QUOTE

Had to check back to see who Camden man was!

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Camden Man is beautiful, and what a happy reminder of your time in London. Can imagine you rubbing his nose for luck when you're worrying about something. Or would that be his shiny forehead?

It'll be good to know a date for that operation, so then you can pace your vigorous activities. It'll soon be too heavy for digging won't it?

Wishing you extra strength and comfort .....xx

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Nothing will get in the way of London, 2 first class tickets booked and paid for, apart from death.

And if it isn't me who died...I is STILL going!

That's the spirit, mate. Really sorry to read of your woes. Have a good time in London. The rest awaits and can be dealt with when you get back.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Camden Man is beautiful, and what a happy reminder of your time in London. Can imagine you rubbing his nose for luck when you're worrying about something. Or would that be his shiny forehead?

It'll be good to know a date for that operation, so then you can pace your vigorous activities. It'll soon be too heavy for digging won't it?

Wishing you extra strength and comfort .....xx

Thanks Anne, the waiting and wondering every time the postman comes is sickening already, must just let it go, I'm acting casual but it's all a show.

Digging? we'll need a dredger! fella can't even begin to lay the base for the new shed too wet.

If it doesn't dry up by next Wednesday it will be too late for the concrete to go off before the shed is due, so I've finally persuaded Peter it may be a good idea to delay the shed until Spring.
(Bloomin' shed and motorbikes....sick to the back teeth of hearing about them!)

Peter's mum has been encountering problems with Pappy-in-law...he's been soiling the bed. Had to go over and change the bedding once last week and again on Monday.
Rang SW and she has arranged for bed pads to be sent out.

Hurrah!

Well... I say 'Hurrah', as in 'the problems of the moment' solved, I'm not thinking ahead...it serves no purpose (anyway, I already have and decided it doesn't bear thinking about:))

Poor Ma-in-law looks absolutely wiped out...Pappy looks hale and hearty.

Chuggalug...Thanks for the good wishes...we went to London for two nights on 15th September.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Well, Peter had the op on Tuesday ( that just yesterday?).
Triple bypass and they had to harvest veins from both legs so he is a bit battered and very weary.
After a night on ICU he is now on HDU, hopefully he will be transferred to the cardiac ward tomorrow, his blood pressure is still a bit low, he is receiving drugs to counteract this.
But he looks great, he has a trigger driven morphine device so is off his face a bit but you can't overdose and the most discomfort he is currently feeling is from his legs.

His left leg has been incised from ankle to mid thigh and his right from ankle to mid calf.
I have heard many veterans of bypass surgery stating that the legs were the place that caused the most discomfort and it seems to be proving to be true in Peter's case.

So, so, SO relieved it has been done, it's been hanging around us like the sword of Damocles for months.

Daniel went in for five nights of respite on Monday.
His wonderful Social Worker/care coordinator organised it and the North East Autism Society made room for him (a whole wooden lodge, in fact) at very little warning.

He's struggling with it this time though (never been away for 5 nights, he's 28) had panic attacks all day yesterday but he was very weary.
No sleep Sunday night at home, pre respite Monday, no sleep Monday night.

Had a chat with him on phone last night, an hour long chat but was quite firm with him that he needs to sleep and making himself poorly won't mean he will come home (which is, of course, his goal).

He's got a combination of worries...Peter's op, 5 nights away, me and Sally being home alone and his usual pre Xmas angst/hyper excitement/impatience.

Anyway, God love him, he's tried his best and was almost cheerful this morning and a LOT happier when I spoke to him just now.

FIL(who has dementia) is fine.

MIL (who is 92, don't you know? And slightly stuck on her ways) is doing less well.
She couldn't clear the breakfast table as he wouldn't have breakfast.
#firstworldproblems

Anyway, thought I'd update for those who are interested.

Off for a shower now and there's a frozen thing in the oven that I hope(it springs eternal) after 25 mins at gas mark 6 looks like the picture on the box.

Oh....Sally hasn't had a poo for 2 days. I think she misses her Dad, he's her walker, as a rule.

She has her 'pooing places' I don't seem to be encountering them, perhaps I'm avoiding the muddy, dark places too much.
She's still eating though so I'll need a haversack of poo bags when the Dam breaches.

Darling Peter, it's done. We continue to walk forwards.

And to add to the trial, the phone line had died, no internet.
Thank God for 4G.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Last edited:

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Gwen, I am so pleased Peter's op is over and went well. You must be so relieved but worn out at the same time, dealing with Daniel's respite as well.
It's an overused phrase by wellwishers and underused advice by most on here, but please please get as much rest as you possibly can, because all this will have an effect on you, if not immediately, then in a few days time.
So very relieved for you.
And hope your supper tastes good. Have a glass of wine with it.
sleepless xxxx

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Please to hear all went well for Peter.
Hope he's dancing around soon :)

As for you. You look after yourself and try to take some time out for you and get as much rest as you can

Squishy hug, oodles of OXO with a dash of bisto xxxxxxxxxx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
So glad to hear that things have gone well with the op Gwen. What a huge relief for you. Your big lad must be finding things hard but I'm glad he's being well taken care of. Did Amazon take a battering?

My best wishes to all of you and especially wishing Peter a speedy recovery. Is it daft to say take care of yourself? x

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I'm glad the op is over so you don't have the worry of it hanging over you all over Christmas. I hope Peter makes a speedy recovery. From what I've heard he'll be like a new man but I guess you'll just be received to have him home safely.

Poor Daniel, he is having to be so brave but then so are you all, even little Sally. Bless her. Here's wishing you all a joyous Christmas, in-laws notwithstanding. x

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Good news Gwen and I' m so glad you've all got through it. Some Christmas present. Hopefully everyone will settle peter can recover and poor sally can have a pooh! Then you can have a rest ( I jest of course)
Take care of yourself in the best way you can xxx

angecmc

Dec 25, 2012
hertfordshire
Hi, glad to read that your husband is through the op, what a time you are still having:eek: good job you are such a strong capable character. Hope recovery goes well and you get the chance to have a rest xx

Ange

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
You post in your usual up beat style Gwen but it doesn`t hide the fact you`ve been through the mill.

I`m so pleased the worst is over for Peter. He sounds like a strong chap to me so I have faith he`ll make a full recovery.

As for your Daniel, the fact you can talk him round over the phone speaks miracles and shows the trust he has in you.

Be kind to yourself Gwen, if you`ve any space left . At the moment it sounds as if you are bottom of the pile. xx

gringo

Feb 1, 2012
UK.
“…..At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky
And the sweet, silver song of a lark.

……….Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And you’ll never walk alone."

All together now!

"You'll never walk alone."

Hair Twiddler

Aug 14, 2012
Middle England
Hi Gwen,
So pleased to hear Peter has had his operation. I do hope that he is feeling comfortable today. Do you know when he might be coming home yet? I'm guessing that back and forward to the hospital is pretty draining for you.
Let's hope that Daniel comes home with some positive thoughts about his log-cabin break. You know having a bit longer than usual somewhere might actually allow him to get into and enjoy the experience more than a short say.
Have Sal's floodgates opened yet? (Too much detail not required)
Love Twiddler x

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
I'm pleased Peter has had his op and hope he recovers soon,
I hope Daniel is more settled now after kind words from his sensible mam,

Sending best wishes to you all,

Jeany x

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point