1. Skye

Skye Registered User

Aug 29, 2006
    SW Scotland
    Did anyone see a commercial for rememberacharity.org on Channel 4 this afternoon? It horrified me.

Michael Buerk was encouraging people to leave legacies to charities in their wills. At one stage he said, '..... being of sound mind in a mad world, I will' and the shot cut to an image of a woman with dementia.

I can't get it out of my head. I've emailed both rememberacharity and the advertising standards authority to complain. I hope the ad is withdrawn, I certainly don't want to see it again.

If you really want to see it, the link is:

http://www.rememberacharity.org.uk/home.jsp?user=public

Click on view our commercial, version 2 is the one in question, I've no complaints about the other versions.

Or am I being hyper-sensitive?

2. jenniferpa

jenniferpa Volunteer Moderator

Jun 27, 2006
    Hazel - it may be because I'm accessing it from outside the UK but I can't find the view our commercial option on that link. Edited to add - found it !

3. Skye

Skye Registered User

Aug 29, 2006
    SW Scotland
    There's a picture of Michael Buerk, top left, Jennifer. The printing is not easy to read.

4. elaineo2

elaineo2 Registered User

Jul 6, 2007
    leigh lancashire
    Hi jennifer,i can't find it.What did you click on?thanks elainex

5. jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
    As Hazel said, you click on the picture on the top left. Unfortunattely when I do that I still can't see anything - my system freezes.

6. TinaT

TinaT Registered User

Sep 27, 2006
    Bolton
    Sorry Hazel, I normally agree with you but I've looked at the particular ad' (is it the second on the list?) and I can't see anything which I would object to. I think it is showing images of people and events which depict why there is a need to give money. The lady in the picture may be included to show people that there is a need to give to old age charities or dementia charities - not sure which. I don't personally think that the term 'mad world' as he is using it has anything to do with any one image shown but rather to the mad, horrid, cruel events which happen to a wide variety of people needing help.

7. jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
    Well I've finally managed to watch it. To be honest it's too tiny and dark to judge. I wouldn't, at the size I can get it, have assumed that the woman has dementia, but that's more to do with what I can or cannot see. If she really does, then I would agree that at the very least it's an unfortunate juxtaposition of words and pictures, and I don't blame you for being disturbed.

8. elaineo2

elaineo2 Registered User

Jul 6, 2007
    leigh lancashire
    Has a block been put on it? i can\t view it at all.elainex

9. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    #9 Grannie G, Nov 2, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
    I got it with no problem. It had no effect on me.

I believe we do live in a mad world and I thought the old woman was simply an old woman, and illustrated our society`s neglect of the elderly.

10. Skye

Skye Registered User

Aug 29, 2006
    SW Scotland
    There's not a block on it, Elaine. Perhaps you haven't got a video programme on your computer? I can't advise on that, but someone will be able to.

Jennifer, it is difficult to soo on the small pop-up, but imagine on a large TV, which is where I first saw it.

OK, maybe I am hypersensitive at the moment, but it upset me, and I've said so. We'll see if I get a response. Strangely, I haven't seen any of the other versions, hadn't even heard of the organisation.

11. Tender Face

Tender Face Account Closed

Mar 14, 2006
    NW England

12. Skye

Skye Registered User

Aug 29, 2006
    SW Scotland
    Success!

I have today received a reply from ASA.

So it does sometimes pay to complain!

(I note that the ad I complained about is still on their website. I'll leave it at that unless it reappears on TV.)