Shocked by my brothers cancer diagnosis

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
8 weeks ago he had text book symptoms of liver cancer including being jaundiced..He was admitted to hospital 4 days ago for tests..yesterday the ct scan showed he has cancer of the pancreas and some in his liver and lungs...he is being sent home where he lives alone and palliative care team will help and there we go...nothing but managing symptoms and any pain if it comes. I am shocked and sad , he is 4 years younger than me aged 60 ....life is so cruel and unfair...

Last edited:

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I am so sorry Meme. This must have been a dreadful shock.
I know that that cancer of the pancreas can show symptoms quite late in the disease.
An acquaintance of mine had it just over a year ago. I hope your brother doesn't suffer great pain. Yes, life is indeed cruel.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
How terribly sad Meme. I can only imagine how you must feel. Wishing you strength and your brother as little suffering as possible.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
What dreadful news meme. It must be very hard for your brother and the family. Wishing him the very best treatment in the time he has left and wishing you and the rest of the family the strength to support him.

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
thankyou all...we became closer when Ma died 3 yrs ago....she always wished we saw more of each other...

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Ditto.

I don't know whether there is a hospice in your brother's area nor whether he'd want hospice involvement ... but please think whether it might be worthwhile for your brother to explore what they can offer him. A friend of mine had a very troubled life - I think the only time she found peace and unqualified support was when a hospice began caring for her.

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
My sister,who was almost fifteen years younger than me,died last year.I send my sympathy and best wishes

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew Fargher