Shocked by my brothers cancer diagnosis

Discussion in 'End of life care' started by meme, Oct 24, 2015.

1. meme

meme Registered User

Aug 29, 2011
    Female
    London
    #1 meme, Oct 24, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
    8 weeks ago he had text book symptoms of liver cancer including being jaundiced..He was admitted to hospital 4 days ago for tests..yesterday the ct scan showed he has cancer of the pancreas and some in his liver and lungs...he is being sent home where he lives alone and palliative care team will help and there we go...nothing but managing symptoms and any pain if it comes. I am shocked and sad , he is 4 years younger than me aged 60 ....life is so cruel and unfair...

2. Saffie

Saffie Registered User

Mar 26, 2011
    Female
    Near Southampton
    I am so sorry Meme. This must have been a dreadful shock.
    I know that that cancer of the pancreas can show symptoms quite late in the disease.
    An acquaintance of mine had it just over a year ago. I hope your brother doesn't suffer great pain. Yes, life is indeed cruel.

3. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    How terribly sad Meme. I can only imagine how you must feel. Wishing you strength and your brother as little suffering as possible.

4. stanleypj

stanleypj Registered User

Dec 8, 2011
    North West
    What dreadful news meme. It must be very hard for your brother and the family. Wishing him the very best treatment in the time he has left and wishing you and the rest of the family the strength to support him.

5. meme

meme Registered User

Aug 29, 2011
    Female
    London
    thankyou all...we became closer when Ma died 3 yrs ago....she always wished we saw more of each other...

6. cragmaid

cragmaid Registered User

Oct 18, 2010
    North East England
    So sorry to hear of your brother's cruel illness. Life is definitely not fair.
    I know how much it hurts, I lost my sister 19 years ago. x.

7. sleepless

sleepless Registered User

Feb 19, 2010
    Female
    The Sweet North
    I am so sorry to read your sad news, Meme. Wishing you the strength to support him, and comfort as you come to terms with his diagnosis.

8. Dazmum

Dazmum Registered User

I'm so sorry to hear this meme, what a terrible shock for you all. Thinking of you and your family xxx

9. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    What a shock for you meme. I`m so sorry.

10. AlsoConfused

AlsoConfused Registered User

Sep 17, 2010
    Ditto.

I don't know whether there is a hospice in your brother's area nor whether he'd want hospice involvement ... but please think whether it might be worthwhile for your brother to explore what they can offer him. A friend of mine had a very troubled life - I think the only time she found peace and unqualified support was when a hospice began caring for her.

11. ellejay

ellejay Registered User

Jan 28, 2011
    Essex
    I'm so sorry Meme, what an awful thing , thinking of you all xx

Lin x

12. notsogooddtr

notsogooddtr Registered User

Jul 2, 2011
    My sister,who was almost fifteen years younger than me,died last year.I send my sympathy and best wishes