Shock

Wendy C

Jan 29, 2012
West Midlands
Have today had a meeting with the Manager at Moms home on my request as Mom seems to be deteriorating over the last 3 weeks. I was concerned about the deep sleep Mom goes into and there is no way she will wake up till she is ready. Also she is losing weight even though she is now on supplement drinks. I was informed that this deep sleep is part of Alzheimers and as far as eating Mom does not eat her main meal, she will eat her soup and her sweet but not savoury. What has shocked me most is that i was informed that Mom is at stage 4 kidney failure. At the time I was not aware of what this meant as never had anyone with kidney problems. I have looked it up since I got home and am so shocked to read about it. From what I have read Mom is definitely now in the last stages of this cruel disease. I am going to see her again tomorrow and will have another chat now I know how serious the kidney failure is. Has anybody else experienced this stage of the illness please? Would be interested to know what is next to come. :mad:

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
No experience Wendy but wanted to say I'm sorry you've had such a shock re your poor mum xxx

Mrsbusy

Aug 15, 2015
My mum has kidney failure too but not grade 4 yet. She has to take quite strong drugs for it and see consultants monthly. They monitor it well with blood tests but I mainly keep an eye out for swelling in her ankles, knees and try to keep her feet up if I can. It does make her feel the cold ALL the time even when it's very hot to others. As long as they keep an eye on any swelling in her care home they can give her a water tablet to help her get rid of the urine quicker making the swelling go down.

She must like other older people not become dehydrated either. So offering cups of tea, water etc always good. I presume she is now incontinent? My mum is now but when she first was diagnosed the consultant asked her if when she went to the loo did she have a froth in the top of her wee in the loo afterwards (sorry too much detail). When she said yes it did have he said that's because there's too much protein in the urine so they monitor that closely.

I hope this has helped but I'm sure the care home have come across this before as it is quite common as people get older.