shielding

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Shielding was for 12 weeks ie it will end on 14th June.
What happens afterwards and whether it will be extended is anybodies guess.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
It's a piece of string answer.

I voluntarily cocooned myself on the 10th March because I knew from people in France how things were likely to develop, the 10th was the last time I did any shopping.

I was caught in the NHS net on a subsequent trawl.
On 23th April I got the shielding letter specifying 12 weeks from the date of the letter which was 17th April, that gives me an end date of the 10th July.

My original action was solely because of age, I don't have any of the listed conditions, I think the NHS action is because of an acknowledged error in my NHS details that I have tried to get corrected several times, there appears to be multiple routes of promulgation.

I did not register because I had adequate support, which was advice in the letter, I've since been contacted by both the NHS and the LA hub to ask if I needed any help.

I'm monitoring 'new cases' more than fixed release dates.

Last edited:

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
thankyou so much and for the link to shielding information husband not happy but cant do anything about it. better safe than sorry. had to tell my neighbour not to enter the house and had to clean where he has been. too many people go into their house about 4 households at the last count.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
On the BBC news it's just been stated that, starting tomorrow or Monday - forgotten which in the long list of relaxations - people shielding can go out once a day solely for exercise either alone or with one member of their household.
When shielding was introduced the risk of becoming infected was 1 in 40, it's now 1 in 1000.
The latest update to https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ng-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19 . is dated 28th
May and does not include this relaxation.

EDIT
Found the info on ITV
https://www.itv.com/news/2020-05-30...ronavirus-shielders-prime-minister-announces/ .
Shielders living alone can be accompanied by one other person from a different household maintaining social distance.

Last edited:

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Just to add, the relaxation of the shielding guidance from tomorrow is in respect of England only. In Wales shielding measures are currently in place until at least 15th June and in Scotland from 12 weeks after being asked to shield. The latest BBC news update states that those shielding will be allowed outdoors once a day with members of their household, and those living alone will be able to meet another person from another household whilst maintaining social distancing. It doesn't specify 'solely for exercise' but advises that details of the shielding changes for England will be announced at today's daily government briefing: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52862440

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
We'll have to wait till Robert Jenrick tells us this afternoon for details.

On BBC morning news within the space of a few minutes one reporter said the shielding person could go out with members of the same household and another said a member of the same household, exercise was not mentioned.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
im not sure if going out is the best thing for shielders too many people being introduced schools going back able to go to the gardens to meet with 6 separate people and some shops reopening. it seems to me too many changes all at the same time. with lower immunity because of not mixing with others, the shielders of which my husband is one could come down with everything. i think and he feels that weve come this far, a little bit longer is not going to hurt. people will be able to mix with a greater numbers i want to just wait and see the results.especially as half the system is not up and going with the app and track and trace. even testing.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
just seen covid-19 update on bbc some of those shielding can go out for a walk with own household. if live alone can go out with 1 other person from a different household. social distancing.bit vague where but not to the shops. see bbc news website. also said only do what feel comfortable with. the scientific people are being cautious as so many relaxations coming at the same time.and to warn that covid-19 is still there

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
has anyone else got a shielding letter that we recieved today to do with lung conditions. it is dated 9/6 and says my husband now has to shield for another 12 weeks which brings to september not allowed to leave home even for a walk by the nhs. myn husbands not happy at all he was looking forward to going out end of june. in a way im relieved because the relaxations of rules have come thick and fast and i wondered if it was happening too fast. he has to avoid everyone and we wont be seeing our grandchildren any time soon as they cant see him in the garden. people are not playing by the rules eg. beaches, new forest. these bubbles seem good but we cant have them either.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
"Shielding is for your personal protection and it’s your choice to decide whether to follow the measures we advise."

My father in law is shielding but he has taken the dog for a walk every day - he made that decision because he lives in a rural area and encounters no one on the walks.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If you got the standard letter it is only guidance:

"The safest course of action is for you to stay at home at all times and avoid all face-to-face contact for at least twelve weeks from today, except from carers and healthcare workers who you must see as part of your medical care. This will protect you by stopping you from coming into contact with the virus."

https://www.england.nhs.uk/coronavi...2020/03/at-risk-patient-letter-march-2020.pdf .

The June update to shielding guidance says:

"This guidance is still advisory. You will not be fined or sanctioned if you prefer to follow the guidance on staying alert and safe (social distancing). You may also choose to remain in your own home at all times if you do not feel comfortable with any form of contact with others. However, careful time outside in the fresh air is likely to make you feel better in yourself."
"If you do not want to be shielded
Shielding is for your personal protection and it’s your choice to decide whether to follow the measures we advise."

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ng-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19 .

I effectively started shielding on March 10th because I could see the way things were going, I decided based solely on age
I got my shielding letter on 17th April which became the start date for my official 12 weeks. I don't have any of the listed conditions although I know my NHS record is incorrect.

Since 10th March one of my daughters has been doing a weekly shop for me and I have been driving to the cemetery where my wife is buried and walking around it. It's ideal because there are not many people there and if I see somebody coming towards me on the path I simple leave the path and go to look at a grave.

If you can find an isolated place to walk there is no reason why you cannot do so.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
we live on a sprawling council estate with public pathways and no rural areas as we live in the city of southampton and not everyone follows the rules eg. counted 5 households next door when only one should have been there. they were having pool parties. we dont have a car and cant go on public transport. i know he cant be penalised for going out but with his lung condition bad copd the chances of him surviving it if he caught it are slim. i have to limit the times i go out as well. once daily at 8am and once weekly shop/pay bills.hes been in since then but had a new letter this morning shielding for another12 weeks so september due to lung condition. i hope he remembers what to do to go out

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
the nhs but the gp is of the same opinion. hes on inhalers and has steroids quite often to manage his very shortness of breath thankyou have read it and he meets every criteria that NICE set out as severe copd. worth a go but we will have to sit this one out unless things change

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
New regulations summary
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53071430 .
Formal guidance has not yet been updated.
All people currently shielding will get a letter soon explaining the changes.
Shielding people can form bubbles and meet up to 6 others outside.
Shielding will be paused on 1st Aug
Shielding list is being revised to be more personalised in terms of condition, age, and ethnicity.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
My partner is not officially on the shielding list, but we live in supported accommodation and the advice is that residents can go out to visit friends or family, but only one household and nobody can come in to the flats. Visitors can come to the garden though. I think for now that more cautious approach is one we will stick to, but with C's birthday approaching in August both she and her daughter are itching to get out for a celebratory meal.