She Likes Her Wine, Doesn't She?

Andyp101

Dec 5, 2017
Hi All,

My Mum is 81, has dementia and has been in a care home for just over two months. I cared for her over two years at home 24/7. She was getting increasingly difficult and outside of the occasional agency visit, it was unrelenting. I was struggling. It was with a heavy heart that I had to find a care home.

Her reaction was such a surprise. I'm not sure how much she knows about it but she loves it. Please see my other posts for settling in. I thought I would write to let you know further.

I visit most days. Today I haven't and it makes me feel so guilty. I carry the phone with me (even going to the garage) in case they ring and Mum is upset or ill or...The truth is, she probably cannot tell one day from the next. She is always pleased to see me. She cries an won't let me go for the first couple of minutes. I confess it makes me cry too but I try not to show her. Not out of embarrassment but because she wouldn't understand.

They treat her very well. They are caring, attentive and are slowly evolving an activity programme. (The previous post holder left.) Mum helps with the quiz (how I'm not sure; the only name she knows is that of her favourite singer Josh Groban so she's already stumped on first question - 'What is your name?'), the bingo (she eats all the chocolate pieces) and the guest singer (not knowing the words but will readily wear the outsize comedy sunglasses).

They used to have an open bar before Mum got there. Hence the quote above. They have to dilute it, or as the Manager told me 'Heavily'.

I thought the other residents would upset her or worry her but she just tries to help. There is one woman Mum cannot stand and apparently the staff have had to stand between them as they trade insults but what the hell, that's life.

Mum is happy but why do I feel so sad?

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Hi All,

My Mum is 81, has dementia and has been in a care home for just over two months. I cared for her over two years at home 24/7. She was getting increasingly difficult and outside of the occasional agency visit, it was unrelenting. I was struggling. It was with a heavy heart that I had to find a care home.

Her reaction was such a surprise. I'm not sure how much she knows about it but she loves it. Please see my other posts for settling in. I thought I would write to let you know further.

I visit most days. Today I haven't and it makes me feel so guilty. I carry the phone with me (even going to the garage) in case they ring and Mum is upset or ill or...The truth is, she probably cannot tell one day from the next. She is always pleased to see me. She cries an won't let me go for the first couple of minutes. I confess it makes me cry too but I try not to show her. Not out of embarrassment but because she wouldn't understand.

They treat her very well. They are caring, attentive and are slowly evolving an activity programme. (The previous post holder left.) Mum helps with the quiz (how I'm not sure; the only name she knows is that of her favourite singer Josh Groban so she's already stumped on first question - 'What is your name?'), the bingo (she eats all the chocolate pieces) and the guest singer (not knowing the words but will readily wear the outsize comedy sunglasses).

They used to have an open bar before Mum got there. Hence the quote above. They have to dilute it, or as the Manager told me 'Heavily'.

I thought the other residents would upset her or worry her but she just tries to help. There is one woman Mum cannot stand and apparently the staff have had to stand between them as they trade insults but what the hell, that's life.

Mum is happy but why do I feel so sad?
Sweetheart, so well done for seeing this through. You have done so well. I wonder if you miss your mum when you are not with her? It's strange to see our beloved ones become involved in and happy in a new environment away from us. I have recently been through this with my beloved OH. I miss him deeply, deeply, even though the caring was torment. I visit every day and do not feel normal if I haven't been with him. Human beings are strange, loyal, wonderful things. Thank you so much for posting.

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
It sounds like she is settling in very well and it seems like you found a great home for her.

I wonder if you are sad because you miss looking after her yourself?

You feel guilty if you don't visit her every day. If I had a pound for all of us who have felt like that, I would open a care home! Try not to beat yourself up about visiting or not visiting, as you know that she is happy and probably wants you to be able to do things that make you feel good too.

father ted

Aug 16, 2010
London
Hi,
Kindred said it all far more eloquently than I could.
I am glad your Mum has settled so well. Much like my Mum who has been in home 5 months and no problems at all.
I visit every few days because I feel the need for me and also Mum is always so pleased to see me.
I can entirely relate to how you feel but you have done the right thing. You have proof that Mum is content and you have breathing space and can now do whatever you please and if that is visiting your Mum then so be it.