Shaving...

MillyP

Jan 5, 2007
London
Just wondered what others do regarding men with Dementia and shaving.
As you know Dad has Dementia and it's getting to the stage now where we have to ask him to shave otherwise he won't bother...he still can shave but he misses bits under his chin and below his nose...was thinking about getting him an electric shaver although he's never used one, always prefered a wet shave but then think it would probably give him an excuse not to shave and we'll end up having to do it for him. Is it worth keeping him clean shaven or is it better to forget shaving and let him grow a beard? Thanks:)

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I would be inclined to go the electric razor route, even if you end up doing it for him. I have nothing against beards (well, I do, but I'm not allowed to say as my DH has one) but they have a real potential to get unkempt (see DH again). It's a delicate matter, but I think on the whole we do try to keep our loved ones looking "well-maintained" as a reaction to the turmoil that is within, and that can be difficult with a beard (food particles anyone?)

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I took over shaving John a couple of years ago. He used to have a beard, but kept it well trimmed. When he started shaving lumps out of it, I shaved it off and took over.

I use an electric shaver, it only takes a few minutes in the morning. I don't think a beard would solve the problem, it was too much for John to cope with.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dhiren uses an electric shaver. He does miss bits now, but nothing worth making a fuss about.

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
An electric shaver still takes some skill to operate, but a lot less than a blade (and if you get a good one there's little chance of you damaging yourself with it either). On the other hand, your father may retain his old shaving skill but find it difficult to leanr a new one.

It will likely take some getting used to though, so be prepared for prickly bits that get missed. It may also take a while for the skin to get used to it, particularly if it is used to a blade; there are special balming aftershaves for sore skin that can help with this if you get sore skin or "razor burn". One thing to watch is repetetively doing one bit whilst missing others and that will make the skin sore.

Also if there's more than a couple of days growth, such shavers tend to snag on and pull out the hairs rather than cutting them which can be painful!

One thing where an electric shaver really scores, though, is that it is much easier if the job has to be done by someone else. A lot less messy, and no nicks!

You might want to consider a rechargeable one, thus avoiding the dangers of mains electricity. Also watch out that dad doesn't use lather and then try to use the electric one on that!

A beard or not? depends entirely on personal preference. A beard might present hygiene problems in times to come though, as they are messy food magnets.

A skungy beard with old food in it is not nice!

MillyP

Jan 5, 2007
London
Nebiroth said:
A skungy beard with old food in it is not nice!
:D

An Electric shaver it is then. Thanks everyone...I didn't think about the food getting stuck in it...what would I do without you all....;)

Last edited: