Shaving Dilemma

JigJog

Nov 6, 2013
Hi,

OH is just beginning to have problems shaving. He manages to shave the hair on his chin but not under his chin or neck. After a few days he is getting a bit of a 'nanny goat' look about him.

He uses a simple wet razor and is unwilling to let me help out using this and he's probably wise :)

He has been willing to let me use my ladies shaver the last couple of times with no stress and great success.

So I thought.........'I'll buy him a gents shaver!'

Well, I've just looked at the website for that very large online company beginning with A and I'm lost! Where do I begin? There are electric shavers, some rechargeable, some wet and dry, some dispense moisturiser. Eek!

There are rotary shavers, some with pivoting heads. :eek: There are foil shavers.

Help me please! Where do I begin? All I want is something to help him initially to shave himself and then for me to use with him in the future. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

JigJog x

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
This has become a new problem for us too. I spoke to the daycare manager and she said to bring a good razor and gel in and they would shave John if necessary. I am also considering taking him occasionally to one of the Turkish barbers who do a hot shave and massage. There are several in Glasgow but not everywhere will have them I know.

I have had a go at shaving him myself but I'm rubbish at it. I am fair skinned and have never even shaved my own legs so I know nothing about such mechanics.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
We used an electric razor once. It was not a success. These things need to be cleaned properly and often but OH just let the hair accumulate. We've gone back to wet shaving which I do for him now. I leave him the end bit under his nose to do for himself.
If he is able to use and clean them properly, electric razors are probably the cheaper option even though some of them are quite expensive, as you are saving on replacement blades and shaving foam. Why don't you buy a cheap and cheerful one first to see how he gets on, preferably one you could return?

Last edited:

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power Razor

I have consulted OH and this is our advice.

If you are going to buy an electric shaver you want a cordless one so that you are not awkwardly tethered to a shaver socket. You could then help your OH to shave while he is sat down in a chair or on the bed. There are 2 types of electric shaver head. The foil type is a straight bar and might be easier for him to use, because he has always used a wet shaver in a scraping motion. The other type has 3 rotating heads. These tend to give a slightly closer shave, but the shaving technique is different and might be harder to get used to. If your OH isn’t bothered about getting the closest shave then it doesn’t seem important to use this type of shaver. Electric shavers lose performance over time. The blades get blunt, the foil heads distort, and the battery charging mechanism on rechargeables becomes less efficient. These can be expensive to replace.

OH has recently gone back to wet shaving. He recommends the following product: Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power Razor. It is basically a standard wet razor but contains a battery. When switched on the razor blades vibrate, which makes the shave more effective. You can get a starter kit with 3 blades for less than £15.

Last edited:

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
My husband always had a wet shave and I was a bit apprehensive about helping him at first. Now I do the whole shave, and have got used to it.
If you did want to try electric, I bought a battery operated one for my dad, it was less than £20, a few years ago. Now he is in a care home, and the battery one and replacements go missing, so he has a wet shave.

JigJog

Nov 6, 2013
Thank You!

Thanks for this help everyone. I think I'll start with Katrine's idea of a
Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power Razor. I'd never heard of these, thank you.

Failing that, I will try a simple electric razor with a foil type head rather than rotating heads.

Finally, I may have to do the wet shave myself, if he will let me.

Many thanks. Onward and upward.
JigJog x

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Just to confirm, my husband uses the same kind of razor that Katrine mentioned. Earlier this year I had a trial run at shaving my husband while he was still able to direct me as to how he preferred to do things. It was just one of those things I wanted to be ready for.

Uncannily the following week he got a UTI which hit him so badly that he was incapable of doing a lot of things, including shaving - so I immediately put my practice session into full use. Fortunately I found it easy to use.

Since then, my husband has been able to shave himself again and my newly honed skill has not been called upon, but I do feel reasonably confident that should the need arise I will manage fine with this razor.

Currently I am plucking up courage to try out a hair trimmer to keep him neat and tidy in between hair cuts. It's meant to be fool-proof but we'll see. It includes a head to tackle neck and shoulder hair (which seems to have taken on a mind of its own this past couple of weeks!)

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I used to take my husband to a Turksih barber. It was brilliant but eventually he said he couldn't do him anymore. Bill wouldn't always sit still. There was clearly a danger do either Bill or the barber being cut. If the barber had been cut he wouldn't have been able to work until the cut was cleared up. I totally understood. I can now shave Bill - but not with an open razor!:eek:

Bear44

Sep 28, 2015
USA
I use a braun rechargeable self cleaning razor on my dad. I am much to afraid to use a normal razor on his face (as I've never had to shave a man's face ). It works very well for me, if there are longer patches I use an eyebrow trimmer to clean it up

john51

Apr 26, 2014
Dunstable, Bedfordshire
Hi JigJog

I'm sorry to get any amusement from all you ladies discussing shaving, but as a man with dementia it does come across as quite funny.

Anyway now for John's words of wisdom.

Like your husband I often find shaving quite challenging. This is awful as I like to be clean shaven, hate beards and moustaches and get really edgy if I get a bit 'woolly' as I have done a few times when taking cubs/ scouts camping.

When you help your husband, unless you have a steady hand and really quite a lot of experience (i got mine when I was 16 years old) between you, you will probably cut him quite badly. This is particularly bad news for me now I take clopidogrel to stop blood clots forming in my brain and causing another stroke.

The best electric razors to buy are those you can clean with water. Your husband will probably need help to do this. I need to do it 3 or 4 times a week, but I am quite hairy and dark (it would be easier if it was my head as I went grey by the time I was 22 and have been losing it ever since; not much left now).

Foils are easier to clean out than rotating blades.

At home, a rechargeable is good as you aren't attached to the power point and its cheaper than batteries. And there it is next to the check list on the wall for washing/ shaving etc.

Hope this helps.

John

JigJog

Nov 6, 2013
Thanks everyone for your help. I've just bought a Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power Razor for OH to use himself, if he can, but I've also bought a Braun rechargeable foil electric razor for me to use to help, when needed.

Many thanks.
JJx

JigJog

Nov 6, 2013
Hi JigJog

I'm sorry to get any amusement from all you ladies discussing shaving, but as a man with dementia it does come across as quite funny.

Anyway now for John's words of wisdom.

The best electric razors to buy are those you can clean with water. Your husband will probably need help to do this. I need to do it 3 or 4 times a week, but I am quite hairy and dark (it would be easier if it was my head as I went grey by the time I was 22 and have been losing it ever since; not much left now).

Foils are easier to clean out than rotating blades.

At home, a rechargeable is good as you aren't attached to the power point and its cheaper than batteries. And there it is next to the check list on the wall for washing/ shaving etc.

Hope this helps.

John

Hey John,

Thank you! I'm glad we made you smile and your words of wisdom are much appreciated as always. ;)

I have taken on board what you have said, knowing how much you've helped me in the past and have bought a foil type rechargeable which can be washed under the tap. I think I've got it sorted. Time will tell. I certainly feel better about it all now. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction John.

Keep posting. You're a massive help.

JigJog x