Sharing

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I have just been watching the Pride of Britain awards. They are loud, glitzy, showbiz media events which one can cynically say allow TV stars to touch their forelocks to ordinary people who find themselves in the most extraordinary circumstances.

That’s what one half of me says before I watch the programme. Then I watch it and I see and hear the people behind some of the stories and I am indeed filled with pride – pride that people can face such adversity or show such heroism. How truly these stories touch the hearts of everyone and how greatly do they deserve their special day when the country can applaud them. The TV personalities showed dignity, humility and humanity when presenting the awards.

I am filled with the same kind of pride to belong to our small TP world where I read about truly remarkable people facing this horrendous, cruel disease every day, week in and week out, year in and year out. So I dedicate this thread to all you unsung heroes who are ordinary people trying to cope in the most extraordinary of circumstances. I applaud you all.

Xx TinaT

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I agree with you Tina.

It was a very oversentimental occasion but I was in tears all the way through.

I hope you are including yourself in all the unsung heroes you applaud.

Love xx

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
I missed the awards because I had been invited to attend a different awards event - the Mental Health Media Awards, held at BAFTA in London.

These awards are for stories of mental health that are brought to public attention by the media in all its forms.

I was invited to the awards by the BBC because of the programmes they had done about Jan in February, for which the Radio 4 "Today" programme had been nominated for an award.

http://www.mhmawards.org/2007/enter.php

The evening was a real eye-opener for me.

There were two nominations for dementia programmes, in different sections of the awards - the Archers, for their long running story of Jack Woolley [sp], and Today, for the piece about the real cost of dementia, where we had been interviewed.

The rest of the nominations covered the whole range of mental health.

It was excellent to see dementia appearing, and for the Archers programme to win its category.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ian.Hogan