Sharing respite

Chrismitch

Jun 23, 2011
I couldn't think of a self explanatory title.
Now that my OH can no longer operate the TV remote or his computer he needs to be entertained in the evenings so bang goes my nights at the cinema or theatre or meals with my girlfriends (I know, join the club I hear you say).
As a dementia friend/champion I wonder whether it would be appropriate for me and my OH, along with others in the same boat, to form a 'dementia-sitting service' to sit with someone for the evening while their carer goes out.
I have approached 'In Safe Hands' which is part of Age Uk and they are trying to find a suitable person to come over for the evening. Difficult because OH requested a blonde with big xxxxxx!
I've also approached a 'carers company'. Watch this space.
Does anyone have any experience or thoughts about this?

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
I couldn't think of a self explanatory title.
Now that my OH can no longer operate the TV remote or his computer he needs to be entertained in the evenings so bang goes my nights at the cinema or theatre or meals with my girlfriends (I know, join the club I hear you say).
As a dementia friend/champion I wonder whether it would be appropriate for me and my OH, along with others in the same boat, to form a 'dementia-sitting service' to sit with someone for the evening while their carer goes out.
I have approached 'In Safe Hands' which is part of Age Uk and they are trying to find a suitable person to come over for the evening. Difficult because OH requested a blonde with big xxxxxx!
I've also approached a 'carers company'. Watch this space.
Does anyone have any experience or thoughts about this?

we have a sitter from age uk we did nit get a choice of who but we have the same person now and it works well although 3 hrs is not long enough to go to the cinema and any extra hrs above the 3 is £20/hr and cannot always be done i have booked extra hrs on only 2 occassions 1 was for our wedding anversary so we could stay at a hotel the sitter did from 1 until 5.30 when my daughter took over. our next is to have a xmas meal with our daughter on 5th dec as she is at uni and wont be back for xmas as visiting her boyfriends family in france.