Shares

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello Everyone.

This is just a short simple question. Dad left some shares as well and what I would like to know is whether we have to use a solicitor to access these?

Thankyou very much

MaNaAk

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
No.
The executor will make contact with the share dealing service concerned, asking what their selling procedure is under the circumstances.
Be prepared to send official copies of the Death Certificate to each dealing service.

Bod

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Yes my youngest brother was dealing with these originally. We're not really expecting a fortune out of these.

MaNaAk

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
If they are not worth much @MaNaAk they can be donated to a charity. Dad had some shares but they were divided up into small holdings, there were still some in my mums name and she died in 2011 I haven't done anything with them yet but I have decided that they will go to charity. The cost of selling each holding and then the problem of my mums holdings has decided it for me.

I could sell them but the fees would be almost what they are worth and then I would have to share the proceeds with my brother and as far as I am concerned it is just a whole lot of work for me and I don't want to do it. I think I will have to send off a copy of probate for dads shares and a death certificate for mum and that will be it.

You don't need a solicitor but you do have to all agree on what you are going to do and if one of you decides that they want to cash them in to receive the money, I would suggest that that is the person who deals with it. Let them do the work.

Dad had £4 worth of premium bonds from the 1950's which I had to sort out. They will remain in the draw until February 2021 and if he wins anything we will get it otherwise I will have £4 coming in in February that I will have to share with my brother.

Just go for the easiest option or let your brothers deal with it.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Step back, dont get involved, leave it to the executor. No they probaby wont have to use a solicitor, They can obtain a form from the institution and apply to cash in the shares

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Thankyou all of you after all that's gone I think it's best that I leave it. I have several spare death certificates if my brothers need them and there are two copies of the Probate document.

Dad was interested in his shares from work and mum made a hobby out of buying and dealing in her shares. I have spent months getting rid of the non-essential paperwork that built up after dad took control of all the shares and developed Alzheimers. It's been lovely seeing the space appear once the rubbish has gone.

MaNaAk

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
I think a valuation of the shares would have had to be made to obtain probate - you have to list all the assets and their value or estimated value, e.g. the value of the house, etc. so whoever did the probate would have sorted this out. This would be a provisional valuation until the shares had been sold. The executors might already have done this together with closing bank accounts etc. Hopefully the executor knew about all your father's assets when they did the paperwork?

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I think a valuation of the shares would have had to be made to obtain probate - you have to list all the assets and their value or estimated value, e.g. the value of the house, etc. so whoever did the probate would have sorted this out. This would be a provisional valuation until the shares had been sold. The executors might already have done this together with closing bank accounts etc. Hopefully the executor knew about all your father's assets when they did the paperwork?

Yes we've got all this.

MaNaAk