Shared Cost of Nursing Home Fees?

SueShell

Sep 13, 2012
Orpington
Apparently Mum had her initial CHC assessment yesterday but I didn't know about it until the Clinical Manager told me at the NH! Today the SW came to do an assessment of Mum in the NH. She said Mums mental capacity much worse and doubly incontinent, bed ridden and not eating highly unlikely shell be going home. I said you need to make a decision soon because I'm still paying her rent, utility bills and contribution to her NH fees which is now financially unsustainable. They are discussing Mums case at meeting next Thursday. When I got home I rang CHC who said Mum had passed initial assessment for £110 Nursing care. She will go onto have the full CHC funding assessment but it is highly unlikely she will pass. Apparently only those pass whose nursing needs are highly complex!

So, am I to assume that Mums fees will be paid between SS,NHS and Mums pensions? The CHC did say, which was a relief to me that Mum can definitely not come home again, which is just as well considering I had a nervous breakdown caring for her at home. Now on tenterhooks for decision next Thursday. Hugs to all, Sue

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi Sue. I know very little about CHC . But wanted to give your post a bump up to the top. And also to say, I think you should have been given the chance to be involved in the initial assessment

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Sue, I also know little about CHC, but I am concerned that you say you are paying your Mum's rent etc. I hope from your Mums money not yours?

Maybe time for a new financial assessment for Mum?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Two aspects of funding are involved here:-

Nursing needs assessment leading to:-
No award.
Funded Nursing Care - ~£110 paid direct to nursing home, cannot be paid to people at home.
Continuing Health Care - full cost of assessed.care paid whether residential or at home.

Self funding or assisted.
If capital above £23250 person is self funding but can be awarded FNC or CHC, Attendance Allowance allowance is stopped for CHC.
Capital below £23250 Local Authority contribute to care cost, when capital reduces to £14250 LA pays full amount, in either case the person looses DWP and private pension (only 50% of private pension if spouse is alive) but retains a weekly spending allowance of £24.40. Attendance Allowance is also stopped.

Above is a simplification and does not allow for all circumstances.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I'm not sure if I've got this right BUT I thought that FNC was considered after CHC had been knocked back.(after assessment stage) I'm sort of hoping that I've got this wrong; if not sue will have another fight on her hands.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury

Attachments

• 2015-03-19_212400.jpg
    2015-03-19_212400.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 299
Last edited: