shadow of her former self - and yet ....

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
well if you can emotionally distance yourself and remember whether you are the one in 'favour' or not - you are the one DESERVES it!!!!

your right there Karen when you say
you are the one DESERVES it!!!! :)

also that use to help me (emotionally distance )when my mother acts like Brenda mother towards my brother , then for some reson I can't explain , I wish I could but can’t emotional distant myself , so useing that postive energy helps me .

Last edited:

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
Unfortunately my brother is now my next-of-kin. But at least he isn't as bad as some of the other brothers round here.

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Lila13 said:
Unfortunately my brother is now my next-of-kin. But at least he isn't as bad as some of the other brothers round here.

It did occur to me that, if I were to complete an EPA for myself, my mother's son would be one of the 3 relatives that would need to be contacted if my son registed the EPA! He could therefore raise an objection to my son being my attorney (or whatever the terminology is)

Wonder if there is a way of 'divorcing' brothers :D

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
When I registered Lionel's EPA his son and daughter wrote jointly to the court to contest my suitability to look after their father's affairs.

Whilst this did throw a spanner in the works (because of an error in court, which was later resolved) the court did not just accept their word. They had to prove it to the court. In that respect the court was not unreasonable, although the long delay took its toll on Lionel's mental condition at that time.

At that time Lionel had not seen his son for 3 years, and has never seen him since.

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
I'm glad the the court made the right decision Connie, but sorry that you and Lionel had to be put through the added stress of that.

If I'd known there was ever the slightest possibility that my brother could have any say in who looked after my financial affairs I would have had a couple more children ;)

He never seems to have any money and he has 2 children plus 2 grandchildren so doubt the boot will ever be on the other foot! I'd be more likely to be asked to pay his debts than look after his money :eek:

Brenda

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
connie said:
When I registered Lionel's EPA his son and daughter wrote jointly to the court to contest my suitability to look after their father's affairs.

At that time Lionel had not seen his son for 3 years, and has never seen him since.

That's terrible, Connie. Thank goodness the courts didn't back them. As someone said, 'Families!!!!'

Libby

May 20, 2006
North East
One of my brothers and I have had our differences in the past, but Dads illness, followed by Mum's AD has put all of that to one side. Reading all the other posts about families, I feel quite relieved that the 5 of us get on so well together.

Libs

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
On the point of giving notice to your 'nearest and dearest' when registering an EPA - one of the plus points of the new 'lasting powers of attorney' now due to come in to force on the 1st October, is that at the time you sign the POA you nominate who should be given notice should anyone seek to register the POA with the Court of Protection.

Hopefully this will avoid giving powers of veto to meddling relatives who up to that point have never given a toss:)

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Libs

I feel quite relieved that the 5 of us get on so well together.

That’s what I so want for my children as I have 4 , if not all going to go to the some charity:eek: :D , have to word it right in my will , mind you ! Or EPOA

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
I suppose it is too late to adopt some ...

noelphobic said:
If I'd known there was ever the slightest possibility that my brother could have any say in who looked after my financial affairs I would have had a couple more children ;)