1. Q&A: Medication - Thurs 22nd November, 3-4pm

Do you have questions about medication and drug treatments for dementia? There's no drug to cure dementia yet, but it's often possible to relieve some symptoms.

Our next expert Q&A will be hosted by Simon from our Knowledge Services team. He will be answering your questions on Thursday 22nd November from 3-4pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Sexual intimacy

Discussion in 'Younger people with dementia and their carers' started by Magnetic, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Magnetic

Magnetic Registered User

Apr 18, 2016
    I continually feel guilty for avoiding sex with my husband.I feel no desire for him now. Does anyone relate to this ?

2. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    Absolutely. Its not talked about often, but i think its very common

3. Shedrech

Shedrech Volunteer Moderator

Dec 15, 2012
    Yorkshire
  4. marionq

marionq Registered User

Apr 24, 2013
    Female
    Scotland
    I was just listening to that link tonight on a podcast. It was interesting but of course there is no solution. It at least helps to know that you are not alone with your own changed feelings for the person you are looking after.

5. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    I have found this topic too personal to discuss with anyone but even though the desire may be lost I considered it a way of providing comfort for my husband and thus an act of love.

6. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
  7. maryjoan

maryjoan Registered User

Mar 25, 2017
    Female
    South of the Border
    I had wondered about this kind of thing. My OH lost all thoughts of intimacy in the very early stages of his dementia, and initially I was quite upset and offended, until we had the diagnosis and I realised it was not him - it was the disease.
    We have not shared a room for almost 2 years because of his general ill health anyway.
    It makes me sad, and I would like even a hug again to make me feel more human..........

8. Wifenotcarer

Wifenotcarer Registered User

Mar 11, 2018
    My problem is that OH is constantly trying to grope me, which is very offputting, especially when he has just called me his Mother, or recently MY Mother. He comes saying he is needing a Hug which would be fine (I like a hug too) but the hug ALWAYS turns into a groping session. He is like a teenage boy saying ''you show me yours and I'll show you mine''. He seems to have an antenna that detects bare flesh, such that he appears immediately if I am getting changed or washed. I deploy various distraction techniques. The one that works best is if I tell him that a visitor is about to arrive. He also stops immediately if the phone rings. Thankfully, he only 'tries it on' when we are alone. I tried for a bit to grit my teeth and submit, thinking that might satisfy him, but found that this only made him more persistant and upset because he cannot physically take it any further.

I love/loved him very much and was a more than willing partner in the sexual side of our 50+ marriage but really find the current demands disgusting - one of the worst bits of our situation.

9. Starbright

Starbright Registered User

Apr 8, 2018
    Female
    Me too@Wifenotcarer, that’s exactly what happens here he’s like a homing pigeon on radar , oh how I wish for a little privacy :(... it helps when others understand.

Thanks so much A x (( here’s a normal hug )) :)

10. Sarahdun

Sarahdun Registered User

May 18, 2014
    My OH grew (or maybe regressed) out of this eventually. The next stage was wishing he had a ‘lady friend’ or thinking random women he met were after him. Now he is like a little boy with seemingly no sexual awareness whatsoever. So ‘hopefully’ your husbands will regress past this stage too. Sympathies!!