Settling in since Wednesday

Suzy R

Jul 4, 2004
Switzerland
Okay, so I know it's early days, but my mother was checked in to a local nursing home on Wednesday "to get her knee better" and so far is settling in and even talking to the other residents! She's enjoying the regular meals and all the attention that she quite frankly wasn't getting at home, as everything was becoming a struggle, particularly since her last fall.

The next worry is how Dad, home alone for the first time in ages, is going to cope with nothing to get him out of bed in the morning.

I just wanted to let everyone know that after all the guilt and anguish there is a positive side!

Suzy

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Good news Suzy.

It`s wonderful to hear that your mother has settled so well, I`m sure it`s an understatement to say you`re relieved.

For your dad, as well as relief, he will feel so lonely. I hope he will be able to fill his time.

Take care

kayleigh999

Apr 6, 2007
Birmingham,England
Hi

Hi Suzy

Glad to hear of the good news. I think the "knee getting better" is a brilliant idea.

I have come across so many good tips on TP on avoiding tricky situations but things like that and picking up the tip of saying Moms condition is "memory problems" has made life so much easier for myself and my Father. She totally accepts thats what the tablets are for.

Best wishes to your Mom

K xxx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Suzy

Thanks for the positive post. I agree, the knee was a brilliant idea.

It sounds as if your mum has settled well, but you're right, your dad is going to need a lot of support. His life is going to feel very empty just now.

But I'm sure you've got that covered, you're such a caring daughter.

Love,

Suzy R

Jul 4, 2004
Switzerland
Actually, I can't say we have that covered.

The whole situation is something of a mixed blessing as far as Dad's concerned and in many ways the situation has dragged on for so long (Mum has had AD for over seven years) that Dad is now very frail and none too mobile and unable to enjoy his freedom. I really think that looking after her gave him the will to carry on, and now only time will tell.

He plans to visit her this afternoon and maybe in a week or two he will feel confident enough to get away for a while.

Suzy