SERTRALINE and seizures anybody know?

Number3daughter

Apr 17, 2012
My mum has alzheimers and has been very weepy recently and sometimes sobs and sobs for ages over something that really doesn't warrant that reaction eg. my cousins 3yr old boy stays every weekend but couldn't stay last weekend because he had chickenpox and Mum ranted and said it was all a plan and we were keeping him from her and he was all she had in life and she might as well be dead and lay on her bed sobbing. I think it was an outlet for the way she is feeling, she was upset but it was disproportionate.
She's been like this for a while and the doctor from the memory clinic came to the house about 4wks ago because it distresses Mum to go out(they are very good in this area). She said Mum is depressed and gave Sertraline 50mg, small dose because Mum is so thin now. There were no side effects that we were told could occur.
Her nurse came out last week and we told her that 50mg had made no difference to Mums mood. She took info back to doctor at memory clinic to discuss at weekly meeting.
Sorry to ramble on but my question is this.........the nurse rang Wednesday to say that an prescription increasing the Sertraline to 100mg had been faxed to our GP.
She said the doctor asked her to inform us of possible side effects which are.......possible lowering of mood, upset tummy, nausea and the runs like when she first started which Mum didn't have.
She then said Mum could have seizures and if that happened we were to call emergency services to have Mum checked over.
She couldn't tell me how the seizures would manifest themselves or how long they would last. This makes us not want to increase the dose.Mum is also on Aricept 10mg.
She has an incompetent heart valve so this is worrying.
Has anyone any experience of Aricept and seizures? Edit Post Respond to member Report Post Blog this Post .
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
My dad was deemed unsuitable for Aricept because of an ongoing heart condition (atrial fibrillation). It was actually the GP, rather than the consultant, who made this decision as GP's are usually better equipped to assess the patient as a whole.

I would ask for an appointment with the GP in the first place.

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
I assume the warning relates to the increase in the dose of Sertraline (this is an anti-depressant) - like all medications there is a possibility of side effects. Most people do not get any. Seizures are in the category of rare (which means 1 in 1000 peopl eor fewer) may get them.

However, the nurse probably felt in appropriate to warn you because people who care for people with dementia often attribute symptoms as simply being part of the dementia (which is sometimes the case, of course, and seizures can develop due to dementia) rather than seeking prompt help as they would in someone otherwise healthy who starts or changes medication

"Seziure" is really a very broad term - most people think it means you fall to the floor in convulsions, but "seizure" really means the physical effect of abnormal activity in the brain and may involve something like unusual movement of a limb or staring, smacking the lips etc

I think the nurse was simply telling you so that you would be able to spot something unusual rather than any expectation of it happening. If that were the case they would simpyl not prescribe the increased dose.

If you are concerned you can always speak to the GP.

Tinkerbelle258

Nov 13, 2012
N E Lincolnshire
My husband takes 5mg Sertraline and 10mg Aricept quite successfully. We were warned about the side effects and was told that it could take up to 3 months for things to "settle down" Fortunately for us, with time both tablets were a bonus so please don't give up.

Wigan

May 5, 2013
I would definitely speak to the GP as when taking Aricept and Sertraline together drug interactions may potentially occur. If the dose is increased on one of them, you need to know whether this increases the risk of any interactions.

zigandzag

Mar 24, 2012
Birmingham
Hi number3daughter - I cant answer your specific question unfortunately as my mom is not on SERTRALINE but she was on 10mg of Aricept - the same as your mom and we too had the sobbing the same as you - but my moms tears were down to pain - I think.

I thought you may be interested in my recent post.... http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?59952-Donepezil-Aricept-side-effects

I took a video of my mom and showed it to the GP - you may want to do the same.

Please let us know how you get on... best wishes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonkeyFeet