1. Expert Q&A: Living well as a carer - Thurs 29 August, 3-4pm

As a carer for a person living with dementia, the needs of the person you care for will often come before your own. You may experience a range of difficult emotions and you may not have the time to do all the things you need to do. Caring can have a big impact on both your mental and physical health, as well as your overall wellbeing.

Angelo, our Knowledge Officer (Wellbeing) is our expert on this topic. He will be here to answer your questions on Thursday 29 August between 3-4pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Serious advice needed re Finance and Court of Protection

Discussion in 'Legal and financial issues' started by Max68, Jul 12, 2019.

1. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    @prodigal-son
    Mixing threads a bit, not sure whether you are a deputy or LPA.
    Basic difference:

• LPA, court gives attorney the power
    • Deputy, court retains power and appoints deputies authorised to act in specific circumstances.
    Best to contact OPG (secretarial side of COP) customerservices@publicguardian.gov.uk for advice in your circumstances,

2. Max68

Max68 Registered User

Aug 21, 2018
    Male
    Sussex
    Hi all, sorry haven't been around for a bit I ended up in hospital myself for a while but am back on the keyboard now!!

Just an update we have had to go thorough mum's solicitor with regard to my original post re monies and Trusts and that's costing a small fortune with the solicitor along with COP costs and we (or mum I should say) also has to pay for a new MCA for the application which is bizarre considering there already is one. The application is then sent out to three other people who could be care home, GP, relatives which is all a bit uncomfortable as it's mums personal business being bandied about to others and on it goes. All a bit laughable really considering we have to go through this just to continue doing what mum had been doing since 2011 and yet the solicitors and COP etc are all benefitting nicely!!! Even mum's Financial Advisor thinks it's all a joke on the basis of one court case back in 2013!!

The OPG were fairly useless as they can't advise on such things and just say you need to apply to the COP.