Sensory Shock?

Kriss

May 20, 2004
Shropshire
Mum frequently will react sharply/loudly as though hurt usually when being handled (albeit very gently!), sometimes when having a wash, or sometimes when being dressed. I mentioned it to our GP on her last visit and she reassured me that it was quite likely that the touch came as a shock - again not because we didn't say it was coming, or moved too quickly etc but because her mind was forgetting what was going to happen next. I was mightily relieved to hear this as you can imagine I was beginning to think she was super fragile and it made me jump as much as her! Now I think we may be struggling with eating for a similar reason? Whatever she is given, 90% of the time we get pulled faces and grimaces and even big No's. It doesn't seem to matter if its hot or cold, savoury or sweet. By waiting (and yes that creates another problem with food cooling) we get to start again (she forgets it was a problem) and maybe manage another 2 spoonfuls of whatever before the same thing happens. Meals currently consist of possibly 6 or 7 spoonfuls before she refuses to eat any more. Drinking is much the same. We have recently had to start thickening liquids (I heave at the mere thought of this I'm afraid) and again either the taste/temperature comes as a shock or she very quickly gets bored. I am getting paranoid about her not drinking enough but all diversionary tactics seem to fail - at least on 3 out of 4 days they do.

Any tips or suggestions will be gratefully received!

(apologies - I haven't been around for a long time - a short background - Mum is nearly 90 and has been suffering from VD for about 4 years now - she lives with us thankfully, something we set up just in case, having been down this path with my Dad and then my Aunt. She has deteriorated severely this last 12 months with recurring chest infections that knock her so far down that I always wonder if the end is close. Indeed even with past experiences we find ourselves into new territory as we are now facing more medical rather than the previous mental difficulties)

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I don't know about the sensory shock but I would do two things: a) get a dentist to check her teeth out to see whether she's not eating because it's painful and b) request a referral to the SALT (speech and language therapy) team. They deal with eating, drinking and swallowing problems.

Kriss

May 20, 2004
Shropshire
Thanks Beate,
dentist and speech therapist both done - We have the ST to blame for the drink thickener ;-) On the dental side have now given up with dentures as threatened to choke on them a few months back and then couldn't cope with getting them in and out :-(