*Sensitive* Is my mum coming to the end? PCA. No food for 12 days.

princess_bear

Oct 17, 2011
Hello everyone and thank you so much for reading.

I first joined the forum six years ago when my mum had only recently been diagnosed with PCA. She was 57 then and she's now 63 and in the very late stages of the illness.

I am desperately seeking someone who may have experience of the stage we are now in. My mum has needed 24 hour care for many months and gradually been eating less and losing weight. It's now reached the point where she's refused food for 12 days and is on a 24-care hospital ward. They are managing to get her to drink some liquid every hour.

Otherwise she just sleeps and occasionally wakes and becomes extremely violent and scared. It's a living hell for her, and it's unbearable seeing her suffer. She was an incredibly intelligent, powerful, beautiful and capable woman only 10 years ago, so seeing her like this is utterly appalling.

Anyway. She seems to be able to still swallow ok. She has been tested for all infections and is clear. She just doesn't want to eat any more. Has anyone been through this with a loved one? Do you have any experience of what happens next or how long this state may last? I have my own very young family so there's lots of planning involved for me to be with her all the time - but of course I want to do that if this is the last few days or weeks.

Thank you again so much for reading. x

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
It’s incredibly hard to watch our loved ones fade away & not be able to do anything.
Unfortunately there’s no timescale as every is so different.

I wish you strength.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @princess_bear

I suppose the hospital is duty bound to keep offering your mother fluids until either she refuses of loses the ability to swallow. I would ask if any medication can be provided to spare her the fear and feelings which cause violence.

Ssdd1982

Nov 9, 2017
I just read your post & wept. I found out today my mum has PCA at 60. I also have a young family but live abroad so feel so powerless. I obviously can’t answer your question but wanted to say I am so sorry for you & hope you have support & someone to lean on.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
I just read your post & wept. I found out today my mum has PCA at 60. I also have a young family but live abroad so feel so powerless. I obviously can’t answer your question but wanted to say I am so sorry for you & hope you have support & someone to lean on.

@Ssdd1982 Welcome to TP :)