Selling the car.

K Chambers-Dubus

Sep 16, 2020
My cousin and I have joint LPOA for both financial and health and wellbeing for my Mother.

She is in complete denial about her dementia but she is unable to make decisions and even live alone.

Earlier in the year her driving licence was revoked and we now need to think about selling it the car. Unfortunately we know Mum will not agree with the decision as she believes there is nothing wrong with her and that once Covid is over she will see the memory clinic and allow her to drive again. Therefore we know that there is no point asking her to put her signature in the previous owner box on the vehicle registration form to transfer ownership to who ever buys the car.

What do we need to do to get round this?

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I sold my dad's car from under his nose, had poa for finance and health, he had lost capacity I can't exactly remember now as a few years ago but thought I signed it and sent the registration form off with a covering letter and copy of poa.

keepurheadup

Jan 5, 2021
Hi there,

I had the exact same situation with my mum and also have LPA for both finances and health and welfare. Basically, as long as you have your lpa documents you can do anything on behalf of your parent because its for her own safety.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I would just sign ' j blogs - POA j smith' and send it off without any mention of LPA.
Then record the transfer online

The shortened V5Cs have not had a signature box for some time, DVLA use other methods of tracking transfers, the new owner has to tax, SORN. or scrap the vehicle.

quickstepqueen

Mar 11, 2018
Yes, if you have financial power of attorney for her, you don't need her signature. Just make DVLA aware you have poa (attach a copy.) Someome suggested that you take her car for a run and "find" a problem that means you have to tell her it needs to go into the garage. Then take it away. You can just take it and sell it but your mum might get very angry. I read a post ages ago about a lady who took her dad's car away, only for him to ring the police saying it was stolen! Does your mum have grandchildren that drive? Would she allow them to "borrow it", 0r gift it to them?
I was struggling with stopping my Great Aunt from driving. Thankfully, as soon as she got the formal Dementia diagnosis, I showed her the alzheimer's leaflet on giving up driving and explained that was law. Thankfully, she agreed to sell the car. I don't know what we'd have done otherwise. Good luck. These things do try us!

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
I have sold two truly terrible cars to ‘we buy any car.com’
I was happy with the money they paid.
Acting on the excellent advice above, would it be worth asking them what they would be happy with on the documents?