Selling property with LPA

hippod

Apr 5, 2019
My sister has Alzheimer's and is in a nursing home. I have LPA for finance and health. I will need to sell her property fairly soon
to pay her fees. Can I just go ahead and list it as if it were my own property or do I have to notify anyone?

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
I sold my Mum's house with POA. You need to make it clear that you are acting with POA for your sister and the proceeds need to be paid into her account. I didn't find any problems. Both the Estate Agent and Solicitor were ok with everything.
Susan

hippod

Apr 5, 2019
I sold my Mum's house with POA. You need to make it clear that you are acting with POA for your sister and the proceeds need to be paid into her account. I didn't find any problems. Both the Estate Agent and Solicitor were ok with everything.
Susan
Thank you for your quick response

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Same as @Susan11. Sold my mums house before Christmas and had no issues so long as you are the LPA -just let the solicitor and estate agent know in what role you are acting.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I sold my mother's flat in 2019 and had no problems. The solicitor and estate agent needed to see the LPA and proof that I was who I said I was. I hold LPA for my mum with my brother and though we could act 'severally' , the solicitor wanted confirmation that my brother was fine with the sale and agreed to me doing all the paperwork. My brother was seriously ill at the time, but the solicitor accepted a brief email from him as proof he was OK with everything.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I think that the only time you may have problems selling a house using POA is if you also part-own it because you cant sign as both yourself and the person you have POA for.
I think you have to have another person involved, but Im not sure exactly what you have to do as Ive not been in this situation

hippod

Apr 5, 2019
I think that the only time you may have problems selling a house using POA is if you also part-own it because you cant sign as both yourself and the person you have POA for.
I think you have to have another person involved, but Im not sure exactly what you have to do as Ive not been in this situation
Thank you

hippod

Apr 5, 2019
Thank you
Same as @Susan11. Sold my mums house before Christmas and had no issues so long as you are the LPA -just let the solicitor and estate agent know in what role you are acting.
Thank you

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
As others have said, I sold my mums place with POA. The estate agent and solicitor will want to see the LPA paperwork and will do the usual ID checks. For my mum I needed to get a letter from the home to say that she now lived there and a letter from her GP regarding mums mental capacity. It was a bit of too-ing and fro-ing but it all got sorted .