Selling family home

tweezy

Oct 20, 2012
Hello, my father is in care due to severity of dementia, my mother still lives in family home. She wants to move to us due to her health and age. We will sell the home and as their wills state she kerbs her half of house profit. Does anyone know when social services ask for their contributions back, either as soon as or when my dad passes.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
She is entitled to move to a more appropriate house even if this uses up Dads share of the original house. The same situation will still exist. While she is in the house they cannot get the money for his care but if she dies then his half goes to pay his care.

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
I thought that if it was a jointly owned home then as soon as she sells the house your father's half of the money has to be set aside for his care and he will be self funding until that drops below £22,300.

Wills only become effective upon death.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The wills are irrelevant until one of them dies.

I took the OP to mean that the mother was intending to move in with them after the house was sold but I may be wrong.

If I am correct the LA will add half the proceeds of the sale to the father's capital.

If the mother is indeed buying another house she must be careful to not downsize and buy a cheaper house else the LA will try to increase the father's capital. Even if she buys a house at the same cost she might have problems.

Last edited:

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Nitram may be right and the mother is moving in with the daughter. If that is the case then the fathers share of the sale becomes available for his care.