Self-funding care home - question about finances

Evoque

Mar 14, 2017
Hi everyone.

My mum (aged 91) is in hospital, having recovered from an infection. She is medically fit for discharge but is now unable to walk or stand unaided. Because of her Alzheimer's, she can't be left alone, because if she tries to get up and walk she will fall. Even if she were given a frame, she would forget to use it, so the fall risk is very high. As a result, the hospital is recommending that she be discharged to a residential care home.

Now, as she owns her own property, she will be self-funding for the care home. I understand that part. However, she currently receives her state pension, an Attendance Allowance and pension credit. Does anybody here know if she would still receive her AA and PC even after she's sold her flat and that puts her above the £23,500 threshold? It would be so good if she still got these, as it would deplete her finances more slowly!

Many thanks

E

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes, you still keep the AA and any pensions - Im not sure about pension credit, although I would think probably not. If she has got less than £24,000 in savings she should also get a 12 week disregard where the local authority will pay her fees (although I do think that they take AA and pension during this time)

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Hi everyone.

My mum (aged 91) is in hospital, having recovered from an infection. She is medically fit for discharge but is now unable to walk or stand unaided. Because of her Alzheimer's, she can't be left alone, because if she tries to get up and walk she will fall. Even if she were given a frame, she would forget to use it, so the fall risk is very high. As a result, the hospital is recommending that she be discharged to a residential care home.

Now, as she owns her own property, she will be self-funding for the care home. I understand that part. However, she currently receives her state pension, an Attendance Allowance and pension credit. Does anybody here know if she would still receive her AA and PC even after she's sold her flat and that puts her above the £23,500 threshold? It would be so good if she still got these, as it would deplete her finances more slowly!

Many thanks

E
Hi. I believe she would still get AA in the home as she is self funding. But I’m not sure on PC.Hopefully someone else will pop along who knows the answer.

Penelope Pitstop

Feb 17, 2020
Ditto as above. Yes to pension and attendance allowance. My mother still gets those. She wasn't on PC so not sure about that. There is continuing health care funding which my understanding is for terminally ill patients. However my friend got it for his father with advanced dementia. That pays for everything. Might be worth looking into but don't get your hopes up. I think it varys with health authorities.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Pension credit is a means tested benefit so will cease when the flat is sold. My Mum's in the same position and we've been advised that we need to inform DWP as soon as her house has sold as her pension credit payments will then cease.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JL513