self-funding but no access to accounts

Peace lily

Jan 30, 2020
I wonder if any body can help me/advise me. My dad is in a nursing home for a six week assessment after being discharged there from hospital. This is free. However, when he goes into longer term care after six weeks, he will be self funding. Sadly, my mum never arranged for POA, so can't access my dad's bank account. They also have a joint account and mum had her own bank account. Do they use my dad's money up first and then use my mum's? Any advice would be great? Thanks x

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
Hi @Peace lily you need to separate out your parents money, your mum is not obligated to pay for your dad and she may need it for her own care at a later date. Joint account monies are usually split it in half. If there is no POA then you will need to go to the Court of Protection to access his accounts. I would get your mums POA sorted when you feel up to it - you don't need a solicitor - the forms can be filled in on the governments website. Good luck.

Peace lily

Jan 30, 2020
Thanks so much for your advice @silkiest. I will get onto that tomorrow. I thought that we needed a solicitor. It's such a minefield!!! X

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
Hi @Peace lily, if your dad does not have capacity he cannot do his own POA. You can help your mum set up her own online and she can say who she wants to look after her affairs if she is not capable. She only needs to understand what it is for -nobody else can consent for her. Some people feel uncomfortable to do it when they are well but if it is left too long it becomes too late. I am in my 60's and have done my own POA for both health and finances and made it very clear to my attorneys what I expect of them if I succumb to dementia like my mum and grandmother.