self funded v ss respite care

effyh

Jan 30, 2020
Hi everyone, this is my first post here. My Dad has VD I suppose middle stages...however one defines these things. I live in Australia, currently in the UK for 2 weeks. For many reasons Dad is in a financial situation which leaves him below the threshold for self funding. Currently being cared for by his long term partner, we are now looking at getting him into the system and the option of respite care. He is based in Woking. I just wanted to know what sort of options are open in this situations. Are the facilities much inferior... is it just luck of the drawer, we may (my brother and I ) be able to add some money to top up but really just starting to explore this and would love to hear about peoples experiences. Thank you

Janderhol

Aug 27, 2019
Hi everyone, this is my first post here. My Dad has VD I suppose middle stages...however one defines these things. I live in Australia, currently in the UK for 2 weeks. For many reasons Dad is in a financial situation which leaves him below the threshold for self funding. Currently being cared for by his long term partner, we are now looking at getting him into the system and the option of respite care. He is based in Woking. I just wanted to know what sort of options are open in this situations. Are the facilities much inferior... is it just luck of the drawer, we may (my brother and I ) be able to add some money to top up but really just starting to explore this and would love to hear about peoples experiences. Thank you

AliceA

May 27, 2016
You could request a Direct Payment and top up yourself. That gives more choice.

You need to get a Needs Assessment first, the council will do a plan that may lead to Respite to give Partner a break. Once on the system it helps in the future more easily. Process takes a while though.

Janderhol

Aug 27, 2019
My husband was admitted to a Care Home in September 2019. Initially this was for respite. While there he was assessed as being highly dependent. Fortunately there was a vacancy at the home which as a family we agreed upon. Unfortunately the home is very expensive but the care is excellent. It involved a Financial Assessment from the County Council and that is the way forward to finding out about cost. Financially draining as my husbands state pension and private pension went into the pot, but we did get help from the Social Care. Still not enough so my three children are contributing to the cost every month. It is a minefield!! I think you need to talk to Social Care Department at the local council to get a clear picture of exactly what costs are involved.