Self directed support

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
Hello everyone . I'm looking for a bit of advice . I have a personal carer whom I pay from mine and my mums savings . She has been fabulous and I know I can't look after my mum without her . Recently I applied for self directed support ( personalisation) without knowing a great deal about it , but neither did social services as it is a fairly new concept for where I live . I have been told that it is getting processed and a budget allocated . I was also sent some information on being an employer and how to pay tax , national insurance etc . I'm a bit worried that I do things correctly. I take it that this is something I will definitely have to do . My mums carer works 20 hrs a week but also has another part time job. I know I will have to account for where the money goes but could this be spent on other things like equipment , petrol for the care to take my mum out etc . Rather than paying for carer and leaving the arrangement I have at present , to avoid all the form filling . I am not trying to avoid paying tax etc, it's just I haven't been involved in anything like this and want to do it right. Would be grateful for any advice . Many thanks .

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi. I see you're in Scotland so you must be in a similar position to me. I have had direct payments -first for mum and Bill, now for Bill - for over 5 years. The Dundee Carers Centre has a dedicated team who help people on Direct Oayments and Self a Directed Support. I don't know if you have one where you live but it's worth finding out. They see to all the employment side of things for me. This is their website and it might give you an idea of what I mean. If you're strong enough my digital story is on there!!

http://directpayments.org

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
Hi izzy . Thank you for the information . I have accessed the website you mentioned and have found it very useful . I have also watched you talking about your experience which is very positive . I don't feel so anxious about it now , I will find out if there is a local advice centre and take it from there. Do I have to purchase the books etc to document all outgoings or does the social work department supply this? Thank you again for taking the time to give me advice , I really appreciate it .
Best wishes
Lou

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
Hi Kevinl, I don't think it is a Scottish initiative as I'm sure when I was looking into it last year , it was mostly English councils that had similar in place . When I first enquired last March , social services said it was to be launched in May 14.
Best wishes
Lou

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Lou I think Kevin was referring to my typo 'oayments'.

The daily care diaries and the monitoring forms I use are supplied by the Social Work department. The 4 weekly time sheets are provided by Dundee Carers. These are the ones which trigger the payroll and payslips.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
Thank you izzy . I have looked up an advice centre near me so will contact them on Monday . Oh I see what you mean now Kevin . Please excuse me