Self directed support - Scotland

cathyv

Oct 15, 2015
Hi I care for my mum who has dementia and has lived in her own home since diagnosis 9 years ago. I've had in place self directed support for a number of years. Mum needs increased care day and night now and has done for the last year.

I applied last year for an increase in hours (ie funding) but this was rejected. The reason came down to financial reasons. She owns her own home but has no savings. The council's take is that if she was in a home it would cost them less ie she has reached her limit as far as self directed funding goes.

This may well be the case?? I don't know. Is there a limit? However, she will go right down hill is she goes into a home. She has survived well so far because she has remained in her home (stayed there for 30 years pre diagnosis) hence the familiarity and sense of belonging remains.

Has anyone else been in this situation? Any advice much appreciated.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi Cathy. As you can see I am in Scotland too.

I have used Direct Payments (these existed before SDS) for around 5 years now. This started with my mum who had vascular dementia and lived with us. My husband has Alzheimer's and at the time Direct Payments started he had a few hours but my mum
had the bulk. I worked full time.

My mum died 4 years ago and I retried almost 3 years ago. Over the years my husbands dementia progressed and his needs increased. He is still at home with me and he needs 24/7 supervision and care. His hours have increased each year his needs have been reassessed. The last time I asked our care manager if we were close to the point where I would be told a residential placement would be cheaper and I was told we were some way from that. I don't know the exact point at which they deem this to be the case. It must be the same all over Scotland I would have thought. I'll see what I can find out and if I find anything useful I'll get back to you.

The scheme has been a godsend to me.

cathyv

Oct 15, 2015
self-directed support Scotland

Dear Izzy
I am so sorry to hear about your mother and also your husband. You must be a very strong person.
I have been told that self directed support does not cover overnight or night-time (other than tuck) needs. Is this your understanding?

Also re your point on funding, yes I agree. It has been a godsend for me too. As my mum has stayed at home for 9 years now, it would be detrimental to have her move into a care home. Hence my need to have the funds increased. Any information you can find out, would be appreciated. Also, fyi, I have read about a loophole in the law that will actually result in someone with dementia getting full 24 hour care at home, paid for in full through a mixture of CHC and social care. I am aware of one woman anyway getting this in south of England. It's not straightforward but I am told is in place.
Cath

Pegsdaughter

Oct 7, 2014
London
I met someone recently whose sister in law in Southern England has round the clock care in her own home all paid for I did question how he managed to get this funding chc etc as it must cost loads more than a ch and he said he would not accept her going into a care home and told the la to find a way. So it can be done but...

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

cathyv

Oct 15, 2015
Hello Izzy

I have posted another query regarding CHC in Scotland. Any ideas re the changes that took place in June 2015.

Thanks.

Catherine

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi Cathy. The hours I have don't cover overnight. I could use them for tuck in but I choose not to. The only time I've had overnights is when I have used the budget to fund respite at home. One of the carers stayed in our own home with Bill while I was away for 3 nights (at a Talking Point meet up!)

I'm afraid I have no experience of CHC but I see Nitram has given you a link.