Self control

john1939

Sep 21, 2017
Newtownabbey
I must be the most self controlled person on Earth. Why do I say that? Continue dear reader.
I usually take my wife to a local shopping mall so that she can walk the length of it to get some much needed exercise. This being an enclosed mall the walking can be done no matter the weather. During the walk my wife would accost total strangers and pull their heads close to hers so that she can whisper exceedingly rude and insulting remarks about me.
Most people just pull away and laugh, others stare. I challenged her about this but she just denies that she has done anything wrong I asked her to stop doing it but all I got was abuse.
The other thing that she does is to go into a shop and select a handbag, march up to the counter, take out her purse and empty it out on the counter which usually yields about £1.50. I tell her that she already has four handbags at home and another is not needed. The fireworks start and the poor shop assistant does not know where to look.
I step in and pay for it as I don't want the situation to be come a public spectacle. Sometimes I have extreme difficulty keeping control, black thoughts pass across my mind. Sorry to be so negative but her doctor warned me that her personal traits would become magnified as the illness progresses. Why have all the negative ones been magnified, why not the good ones? Keep well everyone.

Last edited:

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
You are the most patient person I have ever heard of but I think you need to perhaps approach your exercise from another direction so that you can reduce your and your wife's exposure to situations as you describe.

I understand the need for exercise but maybe if the weather is really foul, stay at home. Otherwise, rug up and venture out. I think facing the bad weather is a better choice than being humiliated and embarrassed by her behaviour.

It's a really difficult situation for you and I don't think you need to subject yourself to this ordeal.