Self catheterisation

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
The continence nurse called yesterday to see how it is going. I told her that I seemed to be able to do it OK and OH is compliant, but I was concerned about my back and what would happen if I was unable to do the catheterisation. She gave me an emergency phone number to call if I was unable to do it and she said she would ask her colleges about my back problem. She phoned me back again later to suggest a gardening stool that could be turned up-side down so that it was a kneeler with arm rests - one like this https://www.nrshealthcare.co.uk/household-aids/gardening-tools/garden-kneeler
I think it will do the job and Ive ordered one (if it doesnt work I can always us it in the garden!)

Today, though was my worst nightmare. OH had a seizure while I was doing the catheterisation :eek:. Fortunately Im well used to his seizures and know how to deal with them, so I just paused and carried on when I could, then put him to bed. I dare say that it would have hurt him while he was fitting, but he would not have been aware of it and having drained his bladder it meant that he could sleep peacefully. He has had a couple of more seizures today, so Ive been a bit on edge listening out for problems. So, Ive got through the worst case scenario and it was OK. Not good, but OK.

I think that for now this is working. If something changes, like continued problems with my back, or OH no longer accepting me doing it then I will have to think again, but that is the way of dementia. If it works for now then that is the best we can hope for.

Baby Bunty

Jan 24, 2018
Well done..but i still done understand why a nurse cant come morning and night to empty bladder..please take care off your.xx

Patrioted

Jul 4, 2017
UPDATE

It has taken a while, but OH has been referred to the continence clinic (via the GP) and saw the nurse yesterday.
I explained the problems with difficulty sequencing and learning new tasks and also about the hand tremour. She was sympathetic, but very insistent that he should at least try the self catheterisation. OH (of course) sounded extremely on the ball so she showed him what to and he said he understood :rolleyes:. Fortunately she got him to actually do this and it became very obvious very quickly that he was completely unable to do it and she had to pretty much do it for him. However - she now wants me to do it for him :eek:. Im not very happy about this - he was wincing, groaning in pain and going ow ow! all the while she was doing it (even though she was using the one with the smallest tube). Im really quite scared of doing it in case I hurt him and I honestly dont know whether he will allow me to do it.

The catheters have now arrived and Im supposed to do this three times a day...........
Any advice?
Simply refuse to do it. There is no law that

Patrioted

Jul 4, 2017
Simply refuse to do it. There is no law requiring you to do it. They can ask or suggest but never require that of you. Tell them to find a professional to do it or you will report them.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes, I could refuse to do this, but it has been made very clear to me that if I cant/wont do this then the only other alternative is for OH to have a supra-pubic catheter done under a general aneasthetic and I want to avoid that. I am not sure what grounds you feel I could report them on.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
You seem in a Catch 22. However it could be the risk of an operation versus the risk to your health and your back may at some point work in favour of the operation.
Sometimes a healthy (?!) advocate is more useful than a broken carer who can no longer care.
I am so very sorry for you, sometimes it is hard to make a decisions. love Alice, xxx

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im not having problems with actually doing the catheterisation @AliceA and Im hoping the kneeler I have ordered will solve my back problem. It may be that at some stage in the future OH will have to have the operation, but as I said - for now its doable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa