Seizures

kanjji

Dec 15, 2007
Glasgow
Hi everyone, this is my first post here and I wondered if anyone else has similiar experiences they could maybe share. Firstly s little bit of background on my situation. My gran is 74 and was first diagnosed with alzheimers and parkinson disease 3 years ago. She seems to be in the late stages of the disease now. My mum built an extension on to her house to enable my gran and granda to live with her and be able to care for her. My gran is now barely recognisable as the person who cared for us grandchilden since we were babies. My parents worked full time when we were growing up so my gran had a big part in bringing us up and therefore she was more like a second mum. She can now do practically nothing for herself anymore. She needs help with toileting, eating, washing, dressing etc. She can no longer communicate verbally. She just mumbles with the odd recognisable word thrown in. All of this, as I am sure you will understand, has been extremely difficult to watch and accept. We are ,however, all used to it but yesterday she had 2 seizures. This is the bit that is extremely worrying for us now. We weren't aware that this would happen and I just wondered if maybe anyone here had any experience of this and if so, what can we expect for the future.

I'm sorry this post is so rambling but I type this with tears in my eyes and my thoughts are a bit jumbled.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hello Kanjii and welcome to Talking Point.

With the proviso that none of us are medical experts, we can only speak from our own experiences, and, perhaps most importantly that every person is different, (deep breath) yes seizures are not unknown. They are more common when there is an element of vascular dementia - the strokes cause lesions and as they heal that scar tissue may produce epileptic seizures, but I imagine that any brain injury (and I'm including AD in this) could have this effect.

My own mother (several strokes) had a Grand Mal seizure in front of a care worker - unconcious, CPR required, ambulance with flashing lights, the works. That was the first time I discovered that this could happen. I was very pushy about it and insisted that they put her on a low dose of anti-epileptics, and as far as we are aware, she never had another major one. There may have been minor ones, or they may have been TIAs (see below). I say pushy, because normal practice is to wait until there have been 3 seizures before medication is instituted. My point, backed up by the care worker, was that 1) she had almost died from this, 2) she might not have made it if the care worker hadn't been standing right there, and 3) this was the one that was seen - who knows if there had been other milder ones? Even then if it hadn't been for the back-up of the "professional" I might not have been successful.

As I mentioned above, she did have a few days where she woke up more than usually out of it - we surmised that she had either had a TIA or a seizure but it was just speculation. I do think the meds reduced the symptoms though.

eiggam

Jan 5, 2007
Your Gran

Hi Kanjji,
Your gran has been through a lot, Parkinson’s alone is devastating, plus Alzheimer’s, it’s more than most brains can assimilate. When someone we love changes into someone we don’t recognized. But, we are the only people who have to ask, ‘What is happening here’

Has the drugs your gran is on been stopped? Ask, what they are giving your gran in the form of medication. Not all that familiar with Parkinson’s disease, but would be interested in knowing the type of drugs your gran is given. If there is anything your gran enjoyed eating, even if it’s a certain biscuit, try and get your gran to eat something.

2 seizures is horrible to watch, we feel so helpless, yet we can only ask, What can I do to help.

This site does give support, which is very helpful, it’s a comfort knowing your not alone in your agony, some of us have been through what you are going through, and we can listen. Let us know how things progress. Ask to speak to the Doctor in charge, who may be able to explain what the next stage will be. Make an appointment if necessary, find out all you can. Goggle your Grans disease, or just type Parkinson disease, symptoms, and alternate treatment.

Keep us posted please,
Maggie

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
Hi Kanjji,
My husband sounds at the same stage as your Gran and has the same symptoms, he takes myoclonics as well. I find that after he has a seizure he deteriorates even more. At the moment his seizures are under control. He is 54yrs old. He is now in a Nursing Home and looks about 80. The Dementia is ageing him.You never know from day to day what you are going to be hit with with this illness.
Its so hard for us to watch the deterioration.

Be strong

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi kanjii

Welcome to TP. I can understand how distressing this must be for you. Hopefully you will find lots of support here.

My husband John is also 74, and has had dementia for seven years. He has recently had to be admitted to a nursing home, as a result of infections.

He lost his language very early, but was very mobile until his first infection this year. He also has myoclonic jerks, though he has not yet had a seizure.

I can't say anything to comfort you, I'm afraid, but there are lots of people on the forum who are in a similar position, and we support each other.

Please keep in touch,

kanjji

Dec 15, 2007
Glasgow
Hi everyone

I just wanted to say thanks to all of you for the replies and support given. We have spoken to my grans doctor and he has said that the seizures are a result of the brain damage which has already occured. He says that she may never have a seizure again or she may keep having them and it could eventually cause a stroke. So far she has had no more and now we are just hoping for the best. Thanks again to you all

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Classy@1951