Seizures

SilvanaE

Aug 20, 2020
Hi everyone
A few days ago my mum who I care for at my home had her first seizure. I was so scared and felt so helpless. I’m not a nurse, or come from a medical background so at first thought she was having an heart attack.
We are currently in Hospital as mum had a further successive seizures the last was quite a severe one. We initially were told to fear the worse. They began end of life care. We began our grieving. Until suddenly on her 3 day post seizure mum being mum ( she’s survived Covid) came round and began communicating with us and opening her eyes .
It’s still 50 50 and I know that things could go either way, but at the same time as a carer and for my immediate family our mental and emotional state is all over the place. Carers need support and all the family does too.
Anyone else experienced seizures for their loved ones and anyone can give some experienced feedback would be good.

thank you

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Can't give any seizure advice, but I feel you should be prepared for her to go from hospital, straight into a Care or Nursing Home.
She will need far more care than you could provide in a domestic setting.

Bod

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Welcome @SilvanaE you'll find that this is a friendly and supportive group. Has the hospital confirmed the type and cause of the seizures? Seizures can be due to dementia but there are other causes too so hopefully tests will be conducted to find out what's happening. Dependant on the type/cause of the seizures there may be medication or other medical intervention that could help your mum and prevent further seizures. It's a worrying time for you and your family but ask to speak to the consultant to get a better idea of the prognosis. Also ask if there is a dementia nurse/team at the hospital as I found them very supportive when mum was in hospital.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
That is a horrible stressful time for your family @SilvanaE.
My partner has vascular dementia and had a seizure 7 years ago which was about a year and a half after her diagnosis. I hope your mum is not going to be the same, but while C recovered after 4 weeks or so her confusion did get so much worse and I had to take on more caring duties. Does your mum have care support at home? My partner had that set up after her seizure by the hospital social worker and it has taken some of the strain away as things got harder.
The OTs make the final decision on going home, but I found the consultant to be helpful once I questioned the junior doctors. Dementia connect and your local carers support centre should both give you advice too. Sorry my phone is rubbish at posting the links.