Seizures

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Reading & researching, it seems like seizures are very common in dementia patients.
There seems some disparity whether seizures occur in later stages or earlier stages of dementia though.
My mum has mixed dementia - Alzheimer’s & Vascular. She was formally diagnosed last year although I think she has had dementia for some time. We first became aware of her symptoms in July 2015 but there were changes in her behaviour from years back where she would behave oddly. She is 89.
She is currently in hospital for a chest infection initially & then she was discharged & readmitted on the same day as she had a huge seizure as soon as she got home & then other seizures afterwards.

I know drugs can be given to stop the seizures from occurring but I am concerned that she lives on her own & is alone from 8pm to 8am so without her care package being reassessed, I managed to block her being discharged again!

What are your experiences with seizures?
She has clearly been affected by having them as she seems very confused at times, her behaviour has become more child like, her speech isn’t quite right & she is more fractious. She keeps saying she doesn’t want to be on her own which is understandable but of course we can’t magic up extra care for her in the course of 5 minutes.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
I feel a discharge to Care/Nursing home is the way forward.

Bod

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
My mother suffered many seizures. I think they're more common in Vascular Dementia and with my mother complicated by many tias caused by her heart ischemia. Certainly when she first tsarted with them she didn't need medication but over the years the attacks became worse and she did need them. Before the NH got used to them we kept having to get the paramedics out, until it became clear that she recovered quite quickly- usually by the time the medics arrived.

I think you may well be looking at residential care and even then they can still have them and be unobserved for a while. As happened a couple of times with my mother and why she then had 'repeat seizures'.

Last edited: