seems this place has not moved on yet!!

icare2

Jun 18, 2006
scotland
as my wife was an early onset at the age of 54,she is now 63 and we still have her at home,we were advised with our GP i mean our doctor at the time too look for a care home for her,and he advised me to view a few in our area, and gave me at the time the best one !! now its the worst one !! due to new owners!!

BUT WHAT I REALLY WANT TO COMPLAIN ABOUT IS THE ALZHEIMERS SUPPOSED CHARITY ORGANISATION,AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED ALL THEY REALLY DO FOR FREE!!
IS RUN A 24/7 HELPLINE FOR HELP !!
FOR ANYONE !! THAT NEEDS IT..

ANYWAY TO GET BACK TO WHAT I AM REALLY SAYING..
AS MY WIFE WAS UNDER 60 SHE QUALIFIED FOR I.L.F FUNDING !!
(INDEPENDANT LIVING FUND)
MEANING WE COULD KEEP
HER AT HOME, SO WE WERE GIVEN FUNDING FROM OUR LOCAL SOCILAL SERVICES AT 20 HOURS A WEEK SO WE QUALIFIED FOR THE ILF.. FUNDING AND THEY GAVE US ANOTHER 38 HOURS A WEEK..
AND ASKED US TO GET QUOTES PER HOUR FROM CARE COMPANIES..

THE FIRST PEOPLE I THOUGHT ABOUT WAS OUR LOCAL ALZHEIMERS BRANCH AND CALLED THEM FOR A QUOTE PER HOUR, THEY SAID THEY WOULD NEED TO COME AND INTERVIEW MY WIFE AT HER HOME,AND SEE THE SITUATION THAT SHE WAS IN,ALSO HER STATE OF THE ILLNESS....
WOW !! THEY CAME AND QUOTED ME
£15.65 PER HOUR !! AND THAT WAS 2 YEARS AGO!!
AND ALL THEY OFFERED WAS A BEFRIENDER THAT WAS JUST TO SIT WITH MY WIFE,THEY DO NOT DO ANYTHING ELSE !! JUST BE-FRIEND PEOPLE THAT ONLY MEANS THEY JUST SUPPLY SOMEONE TO WATCH SOMEONE BUT ARE NOT TRAINED OR LICSEND TO ANYTHING ELSE.... SO WHY THE HIGH HOURLY CHARGES.. WHEN YOU HAVE NO TRIANED STAFF AND ALL YOU OFFER IS BE-FRIENDERS THAT HAVE NO TRAINING AT ALL, AND A;SO ARE YOUS REGISTERED WITH THE CARE-COMMISION.. ??? I WONDER ??

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Here is more information on what the society does.

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?categoryID=200126&documentID=80

It is possible that your branch does not offer all services, mostly likely due to financial restrictions. There are day care centres, which might prove to be useful to you. I would not think of Alzheimer's Society if I were looking for care providers. I would perhaps ask them if they had any recommendations but I wouldn't be surprised if they are restricted in actually recommending any specific firm.

BUT WHAT I REALLY WANT TO COMPLAIN ABOUT IS THE ALZHEIMERS SUPPOSED CHARITY ORGANISATION,AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED ALL THEY REALLY DO FOR FREE!!
IS RUN A 24/7 HELPLINE FOR HELP !!
FOR ANYONE !! THAT NEEDS IT..

I think the helpline is a useful service. It's unfortunate that it isn't what you need. I don't know what you were expecting from AS but it's regrettable that it did not have the means to fulfill your needs.

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Alzheimer Scotland

Hi icare2,

As you're in Scotland, I would have thought your local branch would be part of Alzheimer Scotland:

http://www.alzscot.org/pages/index.htm

Talking Point is part of the Alzheimer's Society which works to improve the quality of life of people affected by dementia in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Alzheimer Scotland does have a free 24 hour hotline:

0808 808 3000
Call us for help, information and support

Alzheimer Scotland's 24 hour, freephone Dementia Helpline is here for people with dementia, those who care for them and anyone with a concern or query regarding dementia

I can't comment on the issues you raise in your post about charging, as I'm not familiar with the services offered by Alzheimer Scotland.

Take care,

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Sorry to but in and if this is not relevant please ignore. My mum is about to get a package of 3 visits a day by carers. This will be funded by the Scottish system of Free Personal Care and the agency was chosen and organised by Social Services. She is also entitled to nursing care if she needs it. Would your wife qualify for that? I haven't used Alzheimers Scotland at all as I haven't felt I have needed them for my mum. They are due however to see if my husband wants to join one of their day groups as his needs are very different to my mum's.

Ii know that TP is part of the Englush Society website but I have found it invaluable.

As I say if what I have said is not relevant please ignore.

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Izzy,

I know that TP is part of the English Society website but I have found it invaluable.

I just want to say that TP is here to support people with dementia and carer's wherever they're based.

I used the statement from the AS website to clarify that AS had no part in delivering direct services in Scotland.

One of the strengths of TP is the diversity of membership and we would never want to lose that :).

Take care,

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi icare2

Can I just emphasise what Izzy and Sandy have said. As you are in Scotland, you should be contacting your local branch of Alzheimer Scotland for support. AS does not provide services in Scotland, apart from TP, of course, which is open to anyone, for which I'm profoundly grateful.

You should also contact SS. You need to have your wife assessed, and also a carer's assessment for yourself. As Izzy has said, personal care is free in Scotland, so so you should be able to get a certain amount of cover for nothing.

As for the fee, I believe that is the going rate, charged by all branches who provide a befriending service. But you could contact other care agencies, for example Crossroads, and see what their charges are. I used them and found them excellent, and free under personal care.

I hope you manage to find the support you need.

Last edited: