Seems like I have upset the care company.. Ah well!

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Those of you who have followed my saga might remember that I changed dad's care to 2 x a day .Am and Pm. I cover the rest. Recently there has been a few ..p takes on time.As you know dad is now a hoist..But before that he was a stand aid. But he rarely gets out of bed as he knows I cannot put him back on my own. He also says he is uncomfortable in the chair.On one occasion last week he nearly fell out the chair as he had been in it 12 hours. I changed the care plan so dad gets up at lunchtime and back at tea time. But now likes the bed. So in theory it is wash him, cream him. Change pad and give him breakfast. I realize there are times when he is dirty. He gets 45 minutes for this .I have asked for 30 mins. The care company are going to trial it. It only goes over to 55 mins every time there is a certain carer on as he asks dad if he wants to get up.They are not happy with me as they have said he has been over it all week. Considering it is the same carer (male) with the same female 4 times out of 7 times that dad has been 55 mins you think they would have spotted it. Plus dad has not been out of the bed since the 27 th ( when he nearly fell out the chair)Really!

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
So the time allocated is 45 minutes
They say it takes nearly an hour
You want it cut to 30?
It was 45 mins when he was walking. He is now bed bound so it takes less.It only takes 55 mins with a certain male / female carer..Lots of chat to each other. This morning the male carer was with another female. It took 35 mins.

Linsac

Aug 14, 2020
A 30 minute call in reality is 20 minutes. Surely that wouldn't be enough to do all that?

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
A 30 minute call in reality is 20 minutes. Surely that wouldn't be enough to do all that?
There are 2 of them. So yes it is. When I say he takes 55 mins he takes 55 mins. He is only washing him, creaming him .Changing a pad and giving him breakfast. Plus he also has another carer with him.Dad doesn't get out of bed. So yes it is.He arrived with the other carer at 6.59 left at 8.05.Dad wasn't dirty and didn't get out of bed

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
There are 2 of them. So yes it is. When I say he takes 55 mins he takes 55 mins. He is only washing him, creaming him .Changing a pad and giving him breakfast. Plus he also has another carer with him.Dad doesn't get out of bed. So yes it is.He arrived with the other carer at 6.59 left at 8.05.Dad wasn't dirty and didn't get out of bed
it should be doable. do they have to feed your dad or can he do it himself? are they experienced carers?

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
it should be doable. do they have to feed your dad or can he do it himself? are they experienced carers?
They just have to give him his food .He can feed himself..They are experienced. They don't even have to put trousers socks or shoes on him as he is covered with a thick duvet.

try again

Jun 21, 2018
My mum has 45min visits in the morning
Shower, creams, dress meds and breakfast. Then there's the clothes washing, cleaning the shower, brushing teeth and hair, filling in the logbook.

I thinks that's a lot to do in 45mins.

I also like to think she is not rushed and they have some time to communicate with her.
Washing dishes, finding where her clothes have been "put away". Etc ...
Some carers are more considerate of her as a person and that takes time.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
My OH used to have an hour morning and again evening, basically to get him up and back to bed as he needed 2 to walk. It very rarely took the hour, usually 50mins. However, I always had the water ready for his wash and his clean clothes ready, no breakfast I did that - they only did the hands on stuff. Toward the end when he stayed in bed more it still took the same amount of time as he was more fragile so we took our time with him and communicated with him more as his abilities reduced.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
My mum has 45min visits in the morning
Shower, creams, dress meds and breakfast. Then there's the clothes washing, cleaning the shower, brushing teeth and hair, filling in the logbook.

I thinks that's a lot to do in 45mins.

I also like to think she is not rushed and they have some time to communicate with her.
Washing dishes, finding where her clothes have been "put away". Etc ...
Some carers are more considerate of her as a person and that takes time.
Some are I agree. But they never wash up even in the 45 mins they already have. He doesn't shower. He has no teeth.Top is already out. No trousers to go on.Or shoes..I understand where you are coming from But there are 2 of them.If he was getting out of bed I would agree. But he isn't.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
My OH used to have an hour morning and again evening, basically to get him up and back to bed as he needed 2 to walk. It very rarely took the hour, usually 50mins. However, I always had the water ready for his wash and his clean clothes ready, no breakfast I did that - they only did the hands on stuff. Toward the end when he stayed in bed more it still took the same amount of time as he was more fragile so we took our time with him and communicated with him more as his abilities reduced.
They have only ever allocated 45 mins.That was when he was walking and the same amount with the Sara Stedy. He is no longer getting out of my bed.There are 2 of them. We shall see how it works out. Only a trial.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
I have to admit it crossed my mind to reduce the hour to 45mins specially every February when the cost went up but it was only a saving of 75p per hour.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I have to admit it crossed my mind to reduce the hour to 45mins specially every February when the cost went up but it was only a saving of 75p per hour.
It would save dad £25.As dad has 2 and sometimes it is 55 mins that is over £50