• We're currently experiencing technical issues with our newsletter software, so our Dementia Talking Point monthly updates have been put on hold for now. We hope to restart the newsletter soon.

    Find out more >here<.

Seeking financial help


New member
Apr 24, 2020
My mum has dementia and we are looking at some kind of care for her. I need to find some financial advice as I know very little about how any future care will be funded. Is a solicitor the best option? I’ve also read about a SOLLA advisor. Can anyone help?


Registered User
Dec 30, 2011
Hallo, Elaine. These sites may help you and there is also a leaflet on the Alzheimer's Society site which I will try and find.

Consider both home care options and care home/nursing home depending on the level of help needed. The financial implications are explained in the NHS link below.



Registered User
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @Elaine1970 welcome to the forum, you'll find friendly advice and support here. If you mum has savings of more than £23,450 then she will be deemed a 'self-funder' so will be expected to pay for her own care. When her savings drop below that figure social services can help towards the care costs. If she lives alone and owns her own property this would be taken into account as an asset if your mum needed to go into a care home, but not if she had carers in to look after her at home. This fact sheet contains really useful information about how care is funded in England - the situation is different in Scotland so let us know if your mum lives there as there are a few forum members who may be able to provide more information about how their system works. If your mum has a lot of money/assets then it may be worth seeking independent financial advice but hopefully the fact sheet will make things clearer regarding care funding. If you have any other questions, just ask away.