Seeking clarity re EPA and H&W LPA

Annie C

Oct 14, 2015
Wales
My husband and his brother have an EPA (currently unregistered) for my mother-in-law. Are we right in thinking that they should sort a H&W LPA before registering the EPA in order to avoid confusion regarding her capacity to sign the LPA. She does still have capacity but it is rapidly diminishing.

If people could share their experience in this regard I'd be most grateful.

Last edited:

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
You are wise to be cautious.

I tried to register my Mum's EPA a short while ago. Eventually, after hearing nothing, I phoned up to ask what was happening and was told there was a problem and the EPA could not be registered, therefore would have to do an LPA. I was warned that, as an EPA is not usually registered until the donor is losing capacity (at best) the system would flag this up and refuse the LPA unless a doctor had signed the certificate

In your case, I think it would be a good idea to do as you have suggested - get the H+W LPA sorted before registering the EPA.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I registered OHs EPA several years ago so that I could deal with some financial matters that were beyond him - practically beyond me as well! To be fair, he didn't care much about money (!) and I'd done the day to day stuff since long before dementia was diagnosed.
The LPA for health and wellbeing wasn't registered until 2 years ago. There was no problem.
Whatever you are applying for only has to be understood at the time of signing. Doesn't matter if it's forgotten 2 minutes later.

Annie C

Oct 14, 2015
Wales
Thank you for the good advice :)

I think we're going to get the H&W LPA sorted next week. Then register the EPA.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
As the EPA has not been registered and if you are doing the paperwork yourselves you could consider doing both the finance and wellbeing LPAs, the online tool is both free and easy.
The registration cost would be the same and the finance LPA is a much clearer document.

Annie C

Oct 14, 2015
Wales
As the EPA has not been registered and if you are doing the paperwork yourselves you could consider doing both the finance and wellbeing LPAs, the online tool is both free and easy.
The registration cost would be the same and the finance LPA is a much clearer document.
I'd wondered about that ... sounds like a plan, thank you.