Seeking advise for my hallucinating grandmother, undiagnosed dementia

ErryD

Jul 1, 2019
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone else had experienced my current situation before.. my nana is on the recovery from cancer and a while back had a fall down the stairs and broke a few bones - she had been complaining of hearing some noises and thought it might of been birds in the attic. The noises then progressed and she was hearing them more frequently saying it was a young couple living in her house. So this was a few months back but now she’s still hearing noises and seeing things aswell, she thinks she has squatters living in her house. I asked her to describe them to me and they had a grey jumper on with a parka over it and she said they have long faces (almost like a dog) and are stoney faced whatever that means. She’s also accusing these people of trying to buy her house and they’re going to put her out on the street! Lucky she’s not very mobile or I do believe she would’ve been gone from that house. Also, she’s been talking about her mum and dad who have been dead nearly 20 years but her dad is also getting accused of being part of the scandal of people trying to buy her house. She won’t sleep in her bed cause she’s too scared as she thinks the young couple have been sleeping there and she’ll barely sleep at all, she won’t go to a doctor and is accusing my mum of trying to “get rid of her” anytime my mum suggested seeking medical advise, the stories she is coming away with is frightening and I’m not sure if it could be the start of dementia??

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @ErryD and welcome to DTP

The things you are talking about certainly sound like dementia, but there are other things that can give similar symptoms, so your nana really does need to see a doctor. It is often very hard to get people at the start of dementia to go to their GP. Would she go for another reason eg blood pressure check, flu jab or a "well woman" check up?

Make sure her GP is aware of the problems - either send a letter outlining your concerns (much like your post), or book an appointment to see him/her to tell them - The GP wont be able to talk about your nana because of confidentiality, but s/he will be able to listen. That way your concerns will go onto her records. You might also want to tell the cancer people in case it is anything to do with that.

I would also recommend that you keep a diary of the odd things that she says and does, which will make it easier to spot any trends.