Seeking advice about security at home

Ros

May 9, 2006
UK
My mum has dementia and lives in her own home with a live-in carer. It's hard for the carer to watch mum 24 hours a day and sometimes mum opens the front door and makes a run for it. However, if the carer keeps the front door locked, mum goes crazy and has a major strop. Understandably - who wants to be locked in their own home?! Does anyone know of an alarm system whereby the carer can carry some sort of bleep, and when the front door is opened, a DISCREET noise/vibration alerts the carer? (I don't want to have a full-scale 1000 decibel siren disturbing the entire neighbourhood every time the door is opened!). I live in the UK and would be grateful for any advice.

SallyB

May 7, 2005
Hi Ros,

In Florida you can buy a door alarm that beeps when a door is opened. It is really simple to fit just a couple of screws. I am sure there must be something similar over here. Have you tried B and Q ? They are the people that sell them over there. Also what about Shops? they have those door alerts to tell them someone has come in.

Sorry that I am not telling you where to get one from but I am sure you will be able to find one.

Good luck

Sally

SallyB

May 7, 2005
Hi Ros,

Realised my previous post was useless to you so did a search. They sell the alarms I am talking about on screwfix.com.

I put in a search for door alarms. Don't know how quiet they are but I guess you won't know uintil you try one.

Hope this helps,

Sally

pammy14

Dec 5, 2005
leicestershire
Hi
We have a mat that would go under you door mat and it beeps when you step on it. it was supplied free by social services if that helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonkeyFeet