Seeing people who are not there

angelhugs

Jan 12, 2019
Hi, does anybody know if seeing people who are not there is another symptom of dementia? My OH constantly wakes up after a nap asking where so and so has gone or stares ahead talking to someone thinking they are there. Also what does 12 errors on the MMSE mean? Our GP says it was enough to trigger a referral to the memory clinic. I think my OH only had 2 errors on his first MMSE 2 years ago. I've been noticing problems for nearly 3 years, why does it take so long to get any diagnosis. It's always been put down to stress and anxiety. I feel like precious time has been wasted when he could have been on treatment to slow down progression. I feel so scared.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
My husband often looks around to see where ”everyone “ is. Whether they are specific people or just generalised I don’t know but I usually smile at this nowadays. There is only the two of us but he did grow up in a big family so perhaps that is what he is looking for.

Directly talking to non existent people would be hallucinations and that is a bit different and might suggest other aspects of dementia and you could mention this to his consultant or GP.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to the forum, @angelhugs.
My OH has vascular dementia and she can look at photos I have taken of birds and thinks they are in the room. I think it is quite common, but this link may give you something to go on if you take your OH to his GP https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-dementia/symptoms-and-diagnosis/perception-and-hallucinations.
The process for diagnosis of Alzheimer's is different from vascular dementia, so can't comment on that, but https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-dementia/symptoms-and-diagnosis/diagnosis/mmse-test may help you.
As is the beauty of this place someone with more ideas will always be around to help you more.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @angelhugs, you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

Yes, I think seeing other people is a symptom of dementia. My wife will often see both people and animals and hold conversations with them. Having said that these could also be a side effect of a new medication or an infection so if either of these things apply a chat with the GP might be in order.

Diagnosis can take a while because many things can cause dementia like symptoms but be treatable so these have to be ruled out before the leap is made to dementia. My wife was being treated for anxiety and depression for many years prior to her diagnosis.

I hope you can take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area once a diagnosis is in place. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

Last edited:

angelhugs

Jan 12, 2019
Thank you all so much for replying to me. It's so good to know you are all out there and I have somewhere to share my fears and get information. Hope you all have a good day today. I will keep posting, god knows I need to offload sometimes. My husband is becoming so difficult when he doesn't remember plans we have made. He says I'm lying and plotting against him and can get so angry it scares me.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Mention this paranoia too when you next see his doctor. My own husband is going through a period of this and I am hopeful it is yet another phase of dementia and will pass on. I don’t like it one bit.

angelhugs

Jan 12, 2019
Hi @marionq thank you for sharing your experience. Do you mind telling me how long ago your husband was diagnosed? My husband is only 62 but has been showing signs for at least 3 years. His Mum was diagnosed with Alzheimer's at 60 after being mistakenly treated for menopausal symptoms and depression so quite advanced when she was finally diagnosed. It won't be a shock if he is diagnosed and I think it will be a relief as it would explain his behaviour. Obviously I will still be devastated but at least I will know what I am dealing with. I actually wanted to leave him as I just felt he hated me and resented me. He has become so cold and it hurts me so much. We've been together since we were 17 and married for 42 years so leaving him now would kill me but it is so hard when he seems not to care any more.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
John is 86 this month and diagnosed almost seven years ago. Mostly he is good natured but lately he has these moments where I am the enemy. It is hard to deal with so I sympathise but in Johns case it is intermittent. If it happened all the time I couldn’t handle it either.

Guzelle

Aug 27, 2016
Sheffield
My husband gets aggressive and tells me to leave sometimes I am very tempted and if it wasn’t for the two cats I probably would have but I know he would not feed them! He has been on an antsychotic drug for the last 6 weeks, which did help calm him but today he is back to his nasty self. He did have cellulitis at Christmas and we spent Christmas Day in A&E he was in for 5 days. So it could be the infection.

Kespie

Jan 13, 2019
Something to consider when those being cared for see things that are not real. There is a condition called Charles Bonnet syndrome which is linked to macular degeneration and is therefore more to do with eyesight rather than a problem with the mind. My ML has dementia and CB syndrome she sometimes tells me that my late father in law has been to see her and I know that this is all in her mind but when she describes things like a man or a cat sitting on her window sill I know that this is related to her eyesight distorting things. It may be worth googling Charles Bonnet syndrome and see if this fits the description of what your loved one is experiencing. Altering the lighting can improve the situation but it is also reassuring for those affected if you believe them and are able to sympathise with their condition which is very real to them