Hi
I know some medications can be given via patches but am unsure about
Sedatives, I know you can get them in liquid form, mum had some it tasted vile,
its often a problem to get the person to take them when they are agitated etc

I think the best person to tell you would be the Pharmacist

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Fentanyl Patches cad be used for sedation as well as for pain management. Is this the type of thing you are thinking about?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Fentanyl Patches cad be used for sedation as well as for pain management. Is this the type of thing you are thinking about?

My mum got these for pain management but they knocked her for 6. They were too strong for her.

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Izzy,

I could completely understand it doing that to your mum. Unlike say a tablet where it has a specific half life in your system, the patch would be delivering a constant dosage all the time. Maybe that is why fentanyl patches are the only sedative type meds that I could see mentioned online.

Must have also increased the risk of falls etc too if it was sedating your mum to that extent too I imagine.

Fiona

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Thank you everyone. We don't want to knock her out, just calm her down a little! Dad has difficulty getting her to take tablets and just wondered about patches. I will ask the pharmacist.

Cheers x

tillygirl

Jan 7, 2009
Tyneside
You can get lorazapam in liquid form. It's in a syringe and squeezed into the mouth. I think that you can also get this in tablet form that you dissolve under the tongue. Ask your doctor to prescribe this or something similar.

Tillygirl

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Hi Tillygirl

Thank you for the suggestion - however, the difficulty dad has with mam and tablets is simply that she often just refuses to take them, she throws them at him, or spits them out in anger. I think she probably would not submit to medication via a syringe, off a spoon, etc, and probably wouldn't understand the concept of a tablet dissolving under her tongue :(

He thought he might be able to get a patch stuck onto her back while she was still asleep so she wouldn't be aware of it and it would be less distressing for her.

Thank you for your thoughts, much appreciated.