Sedative experiences/views

myss

Jan 14, 2018
Thankfully due to a review from our Integrated Care Panel (they came round dad's house in a occupational-therapist type of role to see if there was anything they could add to his home as he has started to fall frequently), it has been agreed that my dad can be prescribed a sedative to help him sleep at night. .

I was today told that it's called Melononin but I think the name's slightly wrong. It may be Melatonin. Does anyone has any experience of this or any sedative? I can only imagine that the effect would be more beneficial but would also like to know if there are any common side effects too.

Lirene

Sep 15, 2019
Hi, my husband went into hospital and was taken off clonazapam, he has advanced Parkinson’s, which is used to prevent seizures and panic attacks and is a tranquilliser and put on melatonin to help him sleep!! This was by a geriatric consultant for the elderly, not a neurologist. This made my husband’s condition 100% worse. I insisted he was put back on his original medication which his Neurologist agreed was correct. Apparently melatonin is a so called ‘cure’ for anyone who has sleep problems and seems to be prescribed frequently throughout the NHS
however there is little evidence if it’s effectiveness. My thoughts are with you. Love and hugs xx

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I tried melatonin for a while but for me personally it was useless. If you are happy to try it, why not. It is a naturally occurring substance and I believe that side effects seem to be minimal if at all.

CWR

Mar 17, 2019
Thankfully due to a review from our Integrated Care Panel (they came round dad's house in a occupational-therapist type of role to see if there was anything they could add to his home as he has started to fall frequently), it has been agreed that my dad can be prescribed a sedative to help him sleep at night. .

I was today told that it's called Melononin but I think the name's slightly wrong. It may be Melatonin. Does anyone has any experience of this or any sedative? I can only imagine that the effect would be more beneficial but would also like to know if there are any common side effects too.
Melatonin can only be obtained by prescription in the UK, but there are alternatives, such as Montmorency cherries. I have been giving my mother a capsule of cherry powder along with valerian, and it did help her settle and sleep better.

myss

Jan 14, 2018
Thank you for your replies. It doesn't sound like it a tablet that has worked well in the past! However I am pleased at my dad being considered for a sedative at least and hope they will change it if it's as no good for him. Thanks again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet