Sedation for ear wax removal?

Loiuse123

Feb 17, 2022
Hello, my mum has advanced Alzheimer’s and often rubs her ears vigorously so they seem to be causing her discomfort.
The doctor advised my dad via the phone they couldn’t treat ear wax on the NHS and to use olive oil (didn’t even examine her ears) so he went to a private practitioner (who does suction) a few weeks ago.
Unfortunately he couldn’t treat her because she won’t stay still. He said she has100% wax blockage in one ear and 50% in the other and my dad should stop using olive oil as it isn’t helping and could lead to ear infection.
Returning to the NHS doctors, he had to fill in a form and despite explaining the situation he now has to wait until the end of this month for another phone consultation and is not confident this is going to lead to a timely resolution!
Does anyone have any advice about how ear wax can be removed from a dementia patient who will not sit still and who could do this? E.g. will he end up being referred to ENT, will they need to sedate her? How will this react with her medication? Dad is worried about the effect of sedation / anaesthetics on a dementia patient.
Thank you

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Olive oil is the usual method. Howlongdid he persevere? Suction isnt reccomended ( I dont think)

Synical of private practitioners!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
You can get sprays instead of drops which make it easier to get product into ear.

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
Olive oil is the usual method. Howlongdid he persevere? Suction isnt reccomended ( I dont think)

Synical of private practitioners!
I think that's a bit harsh. I paid for someone to visit Mum's CH to remove the wax in Mum's ears. He was very patient and gentle with Mum. He arranged the visit for a few days after I contacted him otherwise I would have had to wait months for the NHS to sort out and Mum wouldn't have been able to hear properly for all that time and would not have been able to understand the carers and other residents.

Loiuse123

Feb 17, 2022
Thank you Jessbow and nitram. Dad said the olive oil caused more irritation and the practitioner said it will just congele with the wax. Plus if any liquid gets behind the 100% blocked one it will cause an infection. The practitioner showed him the blockages and seemed trustworthy- even calling his wife who used to be a carer to see if she had any advice. So now dad doesn’t want to apply liquids himself and will go back to washing hair with shampoo caps.

Loiuse123

Feb 17, 2022
I think that's a bit harsh. I paid for someone to visit Mum's CH to remove the wax in Mum's ears. He was very patient and gentle with Mum. He arranged the visit for a few days after I contacted him otherwise I would have had to wait months for the NHS to sort out and Mum wouldn't have been able to hear properly for all that time and would not have been able to understand the carers and other residents.
Thanks Susan, please can I ask what type of practitioner you used and how you found him?

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I think it might be worth contacting the audiology clinic at your local hospital and see what they say. They'll probably say that you'll need a referal from your GP, but at least you'll know if it is service they could provide.

Loiuse123

Feb 17, 2022
I think it might be worth contacting the audiology clinic at your local hospital and see what they say. They'll probably say that you'll need a referal from your GP, but at least you'll know if it is service they could provide.
Good idea - I’ll give it a try.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I often watch that 'GPs: Behind Closed Doors' programme on the TV. They are always treating people for a build up of ear wax so I'm rather surprised your GP says it isn't done on the NHS.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Locally GPs don't do it, they give you a list of places to have it done privately, It could be a CCG decision.
Don't know about audiology at hospital.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
My husband had to go to a private clinic and I know of others that have as it is no longer done on the NHS in our area.
Husband was very happy with his result and it was done by microsuction.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
NHS Scotland in my area doesn’t remove ear wax. I recently organised an at home appointment for myself from a private audiologist. It was microsuction’ he used.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Our GP said no longer offered and referred OH privately. He did prescribe antibiotic ear drops for OH though (not my PWD)

OH went to a well known chain of opticians that also does hearing aids and they said he needed more drops to soften it first. Only charged when finally removed. He used sodium bicarbonate ear drops. They used micro suction. Dau had a hearing test at hospital years ago and they also used micro suction. We saw a consultant on that occasion.

OH was advised that micro suction was safer than syringing that was previously used.

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
Thanks Susan, please can I ask what type of practitioner you used and how you found him?
I lived three and a half hours drive from Mum's CH. The manager at the CH recommended a local company and I rang them up for a chat. He sounded very reasonable on the phone and the CH assured me someone would be with Mum all the time. I was very worried that a long delay would mean that Mum could become isolated so I went ahead and made an appointment. He was very kind and patient with Mum.