Security mat for the bedroom at night?

Anna40Anna

May 13, 2015
Hi there,

Is there a good online resource for supplies associated with dementia care - for the sorts of things we are starting to need at home for my Dad? Someone has told me about a security type mat which can be placed beside the bed or at the door, so that if Dad gets up to go out during the night, an alarm sounds in my Mum's room. Mum is lying awake in the early hours because he's started to wander about. The health service in their area (Ireland) doesn't have the best occupational therapy support, and I'm sure there are other aids we could get for Mum (good quality mattress protectors and drawsheets also come to mind). What sites do you use, or where are your NHS supplies sourced please?

Anna

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
Hi there,

Is there a good online resource for supplies associated with dementia care - for the sorts of things we are starting to need at home for my Dad? Someone has told me about a security type mat which can be placed beside the bed or at the door, so that if Dad gets up to go out during the night, an alarm sounds in my Mum's room. Mum is lying awake in the early hours because he's started to wander about. The health service in their area (Ireland) doesn't have the best occupational therapy support, and I'm sure there are other aids we could get for Mum (good quality mattress protectors and drawsheets also come to mind). What sites do you use, or where are your NHS supplies sourced please?

Anna

Hello Anna, I have used the company nrs-uk for a few things for my mother. They were fast and the products were good quality. I bought a light wheelchair which I can easily lift into the back of the car. The handles fold so it fits easily too. The lady on the phone was very helpful. They have a portable system which creates a beam. When the beam is broken an alarm goes off. Its not too expensive £23 on sale (!) although it will go through batteries. rechargables might work? They post to the UK - you don't say if you are North or south. Mats are much more expensive and my mum is sneaky and moves hers!

Best of luck. If you type in dementia aids you will find other companies too.
Regards
Quilty

http://www.nrs-uk.co.uk/border-patrol-safety-beam.html

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Anna, welcome to TP
Below is a link to a wireless remote bed sensor (I have no connection with the company) it sends a signal when someone gets out of bed but it can be put on the floor if you like, it's not the cheapest but once you know the terminology for what you need then the usual internet market places usually have it cheaper. Second link is for a pressure mat but that's wired not remote not so flexible to use but the site has some useful stuff on there again though not necessarily the cheapest.
K

http://www.healthandcare.co.uk/anti...rm-kit-with-large-bed-leaving-sensor-mat.html

https://www.alertamat.com/categories/alertamat/1/?gclid=CJDBkfPWvsUCFW7KtAodrjEAXw

Anna40Anna

May 13, 2015
Thanks so much for the really quick answers, and plentiful options you've opened up to us.

Quilty, I am N.Ireland, Mum and Dad are Rep. of Ireland. Dad's is fronto-temporal dementia, only a year since diagnosis but progressing what seems like awfully quickly. Every time I go there, every month or 6 weeks, there's another noticeable deterioration. He doesn't know any of us by name now, although there's still a light of recognition, we think. We're just thankful he's still mobile as this gives him some quality of life, although in the middle of the night mobility is a liability just now.

What a great site. It's so very helpful to find such practical advice and kindness here.

Anna

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanetR