Sectioning?

triumph25

Apr 2, 2012
Forest of Dean
Hi all, can anyone advise me please. If my partner is sectioned do I still have rights as his partner and power of attorney to have a say in his care going forward?

Many thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I think it would depend upon the decision being made at the time.

Sectioning sounds awful, but can have a very positive outcome. Pleas
e don't fear it.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
My wife was sectioned in January, she still is. I'm kept fully informed of everything that happens, medication changes and all the rest if fact I'm better informed than before.
One of the other residents (also under section) went out for one of his afternoons out shopping with his daughter and granddaughter them a MacDonalds, they go out most weeks. Now she's stabilised I can take my wife out if I want, they just ask it's in the back of the car, childlocks on and with another person to be with her.
K

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
In my experience I was always kept informed, always had someone to talk to about any worries and all without a LPA for Welfare. I never saw Pete's records but I was given a full set of discharge notes that were very comprehensive. (daily observations)

Pete's consultant always listened to me and we had regular weekly meetings. It was only when Pete was sectioned for the fourth time that the decision was made that he couldn't go home-I wasn't happy but I was still supported by the staff.

Perhaps a sectioning could be a good thing to get your partner on an even keel?

Love,

Lyn T XX

Toddleo

Oct 7, 2015
I would like to say that our experience of mum being sectioned was a positive one too. I do not have POA in place, but was kept very informed about every step of the process, and my opinion was always sought while she was detained (4 and a half months)
She has been discharged to the hospital dementia ward now, and I have been given a lengthy and comprehensive copy of the discharge summary from the Mental Health Unit.

triumph25

Apr 2, 2012
Forest of Dean
Thank you all for your positive responses. It has made me a little less anxious about the issue of sectioning. I was worried that everything would be taken out if my hands. So I'm pleased that it won't/shouldn't happen like that. X

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point