Sectioning under mental health act

richmond

Jan 8, 2006
I am a new user with a father who has dementia (non alzheimers). He is very psychotic, paranoid and has started wandering off. Ny mother cant cope and my father denies he is even ill and wont accept help or care. On friday the psychiatrist says she will section him in january and send him to local hospital . Although I think we probably need to go this route for the sake of my mum, I am interested in others experience or advice in terms of sectioning and what is the best way to get him out of hospital and into a secure?/EMI residential home where he can get more personal care.

daughter

Mar 16, 2005
Hi Richmond, welcome to TP. I do not have experience of sectioning but my advice (for what it's worth) is to be one step ahead and start making appointments to look at homes now. Visit them, ask as many questions as you can think of and you then you may have more options if/when it gets to that stage.

Best wishes,

Last edited:

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
If it helps you can look up the Inspection reports for various homes on the Internet, it certainly highlighted faults and strengths of some of our local homes.
Amy

Loiner

Oct 29, 2005
Leeds, UK
hi,
Having worked in the mental health field I can tell you the psychiatrist would not section your father unless he felt he posed a danger to you and society. I am not trying to scare you but what they'll do is find the right medications in hospital to manage his condition.
It could take a while but they know what they are doing, so keep looking for a home, then when his illness is at a managed stage they'll release him.
The old lock em up in bedlam and forget em doesn't exist any more, thank god :) just the stereotype

hugs David

richmond

Jan 8, 2006
thanks david, that is re-assuring, and I know he could be better if he would let people help him with medication, so fingers crossed! Richmond