Section removed on dad/NHS continued care??

di30

Dec 15, 2009
South Wales
Hi everyone
Hope your all well.

Sorry I have not posted lately, my husband have found a new job and I have been extremely busy with this that and my son etc.

Anyway, the last time I posted on here I mentioned that mum and my sisters had viewed some EMI care homes for my dad that was on the list they gave mum. There is just the one they thought was suitable for dad, but there is a waiting list for this and this can take up to another year.

Anyway,a few weeks back he was accessed for NHS continued care, and was told he was eligible.
Not sure how long this take to go through though.

The latest is, they have removed the section from dad, he was I think on section 3, his consultant came round when we were visiting dad said there was no need for dad to be on a section anymore as things have been steady with him again.

Mum said about having him home to give it at least a try with a full care package, this was the original arrangement before Christmas, it did not happen, it was then thought he would be better off in a RMI care home, but now they seem to have the meds right and dad have been pretty good for a good while now, even mostly settled at night times.

I take it, there must be some improvement for them to remove the section, but will this now mean that dad would not be eligible for NHS continued care?

Oh and we are finally allowed to take dad out for an hour or 2 tomorrow away from the hospital unit.
He have been there since October 2009.

Thank you.;)

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I don't have a definitive answer for you but......

There is a difference between NHS continuing care and Section 117 mental aftercare (which would be relevant in your situation). So I think what you have to find out is if he was assessed for NHS CC or 117 aftercare.

One thing I would say is that a well managed need is still a need. That is, even if your father is now being managed adequately with medication, that in and of itself does not mean that he is still not eligible for NHS CC (if that is what was awarded).

Last edited:

Flower_fairy

Jan 22, 2010
Lancashire
Hi,
If it was CHC that he was assessed as meeting the criteria for then this will make no difference if he is on a section or not.
If he was on a section 3 and it has now been recinded (taken off it) he will still be eligible for 117 aftercare as anyone who has been on a section 3 (whether they are still on it or not) is entitled to this. However, if he was on any other section of the mental health act (eg a section to- admission for assessment) he will not get 117 aftercare, check this with the ward as it is so important. The 117 aftercare will be subject to a review where in the future he may be found not to need this anymore so it really is better to try and go down the CHC route with regard to funding.
Hope this helps xx

www.rethink.org/document.rm?id=7709 - read this it may help. xx