section 3

jacie

Jul 19, 2015
Can anybody offer help with a Section 3? My father was living at home until 5 weeks ago with alzheimers - diagnosed October 2014. He was prescribed Donezipil and has not responded well to it. So much so that he ended up in hospital on a section 2 for review of his medication. As there was no beds in the hospital near to his consultant he was moved to another area nad then subsequently moved back to the area of his consultant hence section 3. We are very concerned about the options the consultant is outlining for my father as they seem limited and we feel they are unwarrented, The unit is very institutionised and not very o-operative. Please any advice would be most welcome. Kind Regards Jacie

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello jacie. Welcome to TP.
I'm sorry I cannot help as I have no experience with what you are going through.
I just couldn't read and leave without posting to you. Also to give your post a bump up to the top where others with more experience will see it easier

It might help if you could let us know the options being offered and perhaps why you believe they are unwarranted.
I get the feeling that you are not being listened to by the staff.

Lulu

Nov 28, 2004
Our situation was slightly different in that my Mum was admitted from her nursing home to an assessment unit using a section 2. This then became a section 3 after about 28 days, and upon discharge (about 6 weeks) she was to be placed on a section 117 (aftercare). There was little choice as to which Home she would be placed in, since the assessment unit knew the sepcific Homes Mum would be best placed in order for her to receive the correct care for her needs. We did go to vist the few Homes that were open to us, and we liked one of them very much. No beds of course, but we were very lucky becasue one came up suddenly. I think they would have placed her in one of the other Homes had this bed not come up, but only as a temporary measure until our preferred place came up. They did all they could to help us and take our views into consideration, though we ensured our views were known at the meetings which took place at intervals.
The assessment unit was also quite regimented, but on the whole very calm and they did an excellent assessment for Mum and she is now receiving the care she needs.
Sorry I can't help further, but for us it worked in this way and all came right at the end of the day. Hope it does for you, too, but am unsure of your circumstances. It is a stressful time for you.

jacie

Jul 19, 2015
Our situation was slightly different in that my Mum was admitted from her nursing home to an assessment unit using a section 2. This then became a section 3 after about 28 days, and upon discharge (about 6 weeks) she was to be placed on a section 117 (aftercare). There was little choice as to which Home she would be placed in, since the assessment unit knew the sepcific Homes Mum would be best placed in order for her to receive the correct care for her needs. We did go to vist the few Homes that were open to us, and we liked one of them very much. No beds of course, but we were very lucky becasue one came up suddenly. I think they would have placed her in one of the other Homes had this bed not come up, but only as a temporary measure until our preferred place came up. They did all they could to help us and take our views into consideration, though we ensured our views were known at the meetings which took place at intervals.
The assessment unit was also quite regimented, but on the whole very calm and they did an excellent assessment for Mum and she is now receiving the care she needs.
Sorry I can't help further, but for us it worked in this way and all came right at the end of the day. Hope it does for you, too, but am unsure of your circumstances. It is a stressful time for you.

Thank you for taking the time to reply regarding my dads section 3 . This is the same problem for my dad limited choice due to him being released on a section 117 and all the dementia care homes we like and we have identified as meeting his needs are full. I'm glad to hear your mum is now receiving the care she needs. Back to the drawing board I guess for us!!

Lulu

Nov 28, 2004
I do hope you can find somehwere for your Dad very soon. Is the assessment unit helping you to chase up placements? Hopefully they will hang on to him for a while longer until a place comes up in your preferred Home. I have sent you a private message.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zoobix